Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad housing problem...any advice or help would be gratefully accepted

Hi all,
    i just moved house, and despite assurances that my animals would be fine (was vague on numbers but definitely said they were plural!), i just found out that the animals are NOT ok, and that i have to either get rid of them or move out (or as suggested by the agent, change the locks and lie, which i don't think is a good option at all).
    so i don't have a timescale, but i'm guessing ASAP is when i need to sort this out.
    getting rid of the animals is just not an option (my list below is out of date, counting cohabiting groups as one, i have probably under 200 creatures, mostly tarantulas, some scorps, 9 snakes and 2 centipedes).
    i am able to replace myself in this flat, just pending finding someone who passes the basic checks, but i need to then find myself a place to stay.
    this isn't the greatest situation for the animals at all, as most are still packed in travel tubs, and i did have a few deaths already!
    i have to emphasise that this is the agent's fault, not mine...and as such i'm going to try to make him work for me as much as possible to sort this. i've already had over a month of nightmare trying to move, only having to do it again
    i've had offers to board them all in Wales, a few old world species in Isle of Wight, and a few in Tunbridge Wells, but the problem with all these is the time to post or transport...but i may have no choice...unless someone living closer (ie in London, or not far from it) had a bit of extra space and didn't mind boarding them just til i get myself settled. I'd pay the cost of food, naturally, plus some extra to electricity, if someone able to do that.
    this is a horrible situation, both for me and the creatures, so if anyone has anything to say or suggest or whatever, it'd be appreciated!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

hi james, sorry to hear about your predicament mate. if i can help in any way i will, i will also ask around the club see if we can temp hous ethem between us if this helps
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

thanks Matthew, that'd be great!
      i can try and do a count and post it, and see what people think, as some have preferences etc.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

just to add, it shouldn't be for long, and if i don't have to do it i won't...depends on how easy it is to find a place that accepts pets...
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Sorry to hear this - sent you a pm offering help but I'm probably too far away to be much use to you! We've been in this position too. As we've learnt the hard way, make the agent give you permission in writing. They're all happy to give you vague verbal promises about cage pets being fine. Hardly any are happy to give you that in writing, but they will all try to wriggle out of it and tell you that you don't actually need permission in writing because it's fine. Don't believe them. We were in a rented house a few years ago where we were ok for a little over a year, until the owner found out. The agent had never bothered to tell him about the spiders. We got told we could have two or three pets but no more. We got out of the house pretty quickly then.

Comment

thanks eleanor, i replied to your kind offer! those slimy agents will say anything to get you in. sorry you went through this before!
            luckily i have the option to replace myself there, though i should by rights have til the end of May at least. though io'd like to move earlier, as this sort of thing sours a place.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

one thing i will point out though james is this, if you read the terms and conditions of your tenency agreement you may be able to tell your landlord/lady to mind their own business about your pets. most tenency agreements i have seen have stipulated that you may not keep any warm blooded animals on the property, check the wording on your contract, you may be able to get away with keeping your cold blooded critters.
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

I have just moved into a rented flat after having to leave my own house after a recent split from my girlfriend and had difficulty finding 1 which excepted my T's but eventually found 1 but had to sign an additional clause sayin that i wont let them out of the tanks and that if the flat gets infested i have to pay for fumigation

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Aaron, sorry to hear about your recent nightmare as well! glad it got sorted though. my old landlords didn't care. the last one said i could have "3 tanks", which was abritrary and random...but despite being pedantic about other things, that was one thing he didn't care about, thankfully!

Matthew, sadly it says "or any other living creature". my mistake was not getting an exception in writing. at least i can contractually be replaced there!!! just a matter of how long it takes to get me sorted with a new place plus the replacement tenant.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                  X