Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it legal to import a spider from australia

iam not sure and i wanted to know were to ask etc

John, this is a difficult question to answer with a simple yes/no. At the moment there are four genera (described) to various parts of Australia these include: Selenocosmia sp, Selenotholus sp, Selenotypus sp, Phlogiellus sp. Most tarantula's have the alternative name of whistling or barking spiders. I also think there has been some mix-ups with the aforementioned Phlogiellus sp and Selenocosmia crassipes (not 100% sure). Im pretty sure the spidershop has advertised similar sp before but i wouldnt like to say whether they were CB or WC.

As far as i am aware Australia takes a very hard stance on the import of its native flora and fauna. Australia like so many other countries (ie Mexico) also regulates trade of any species which appears on the CITIES index.

"
    Commercial export of regulated wildlife and wildlife products may occur only where the specimens have been derived from an approved source (captive breeding program, artificial propagation program, aquaculture program, wildlife trade management operation, or wildlife management plan). CITES Appendix II species that are declared specimens may only be imported commercially if they have been artificially propagated or bred in captivity (source codes¹ A, C or D), or if the operation from which they were sourced is has been approved as a Commercial Import Program (CIP).
    ¹ Source codes:
    A – Artificially propagated
    C – Animals bred in captivity
    D – Appendix I animals bred in captivity for commercial purposes and Appendix-I plants artificially propagated for commercial purposes, as well as parts and derivatives thereof.

Regulated wildlife may also be exported or imported if it is for an eligible non-commercial purpose. Eligible non-commercial purposes include research, education, exhibition, conservation breeding or propagation, a household pet, a personal item or for a travelling exhibition. Strict conditions must be met to qualify as one of these eligible purposes." - Australian Government (DOEWHA)

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiv...use/index.html - Australian Government (DOEWHA) Webpage. Hope this helps.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

I know Australia's like a one way valve regarding flora and fauna, things come out but don't get in.

One idea would be to register with the Australian Tarantula Association and post the question there.
      It's not as much used as once was but i think there will be a few members who can give you advice from a first hand experience.
      You could contact Steve Nunn (ATA commitee) for his advice.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Colin im pretty sure that Steve Nunn captivley breeds some sp of native spider, not sure whether its Selenocosmia or another sp though.
        Tarantulas kept:
        0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Hello,
          Unless you have them sent to you from an approved exporter (following the DEH laws on approved programs), it is illegal to obtain any spiders from Australia.

Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X