Sold as G.pulchra but not sure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold as G.pulchra but not sure?

Bought this girl almost a year ago now, she was sold originally as G.pulchra. However she does look somewhat different to the other G.pulchra female I bought with a male as a breeding pair. Hoping some more knowledgeable folk could offer opinions.

Pictures were done on a light background as I thought it would offer the best contrast to just see the spider, but if a different colour would work better just let me know.
    Attached Files

My Collection: - Support CB

Grammostola sp. "formosa".
    The side view shows all the relevant attributes for this species.

Lovely spiders, a little more unpredictable and defensive than G. pulchra.

If you're going to breed this then be careful to check the male out, there was a few MM G. pulchra floating around as sp. "formosa" when these came up for sale around 2007 ish (people just trying to cash in on the new species in town).
    I got a couple in 2006 from a researcher/taxonomist friend, and was lucky enough to see his MM so could tell, after a bit of inspection, that the MM for sale at a show wasn't was it said "on the tin". The trader was ignorant of the fact (he just bought it as "formosa") and changed his label after being convinced.

And they say Grammostola are boring ...... can there be a more interesting genus ???
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
      Grammostola sp. "formosa".
      The side view shows all the relevant attributes for this species.

Lovely spiders, a little more unpredictable and defensive than G. pulchra.

If you're going to breed this then be careful to check the male out, there was a few MM G. pulchra floating around as sp. "formosa" when these came up for sale around 2007 ish (people just trying to cash in on the new species in town).
      I got a couple in 2006 from a researcher/taxonomist friend, and was lucky enough to see his MM so could tell, after a bit of inspection, that the MM for sale at a show wasn't was it said "on the tin". The trader was ignorant of the fact (he just bought it as "formosa") and changed his label after being convinced.

And they say Grammostola are boring ...... can there be a more interesting genus ???

So far this girl has been as docile as can be, although that could be as I was viewing her in the same mind set as rosea's etc with thinking it was G.pulchra. My actual G.pulchra female on the other hand is highly unpredictable and wants to chew on anything that goes into the enclosure.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Working...
      X