Determining sex from moulted skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining sex from moulted skin

Our L Para moulted about a month ago and we've just managed to salvage the moulted skin from the back of it's hide. We've sprayed it with water to flatten the legs out but at the moment the abdomen is just shrivelled skin and we would really like to know what's sex it is (we've always called it Mikey but have a sneaky suspicion it might be a Michaela!)

Can any give us tips on how best to do it or ......

Would anyone be willing to have a look if we bought the skin to the BTS Expo in a couple of weeks??

Jane

Try this nonsense http://www.arachnophiles.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=5442
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Comment

Thanks Craig,

Just had a go but unfortunately the skin didn't survive being sat on for 3 weeks. The abdomen was pretty much in tatters, right where we needed to look. Better luck next time!

Comment

You could still possible see the bit you need with a scope (after a bit of shifting around) if you still have the skin then bring it and pass it onto someone at the show who has a scope and they could PM you the details.
        I dont mind having a go if you want to either post it or try catch me at the BTS
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

It really is not at all difficult but you are better with 1 good light. 2 some form of magnification, And 3 I use a tiny drop of washing liquid as a wetting agent in the tepid water to moisten the moult. 4 two fine implements such as the blunt end of a long needle .I must admit my eyes are really getting lousy ( age I am afraid ) and I do use a usb microscope, and if you need them good poly gloves. also I find good fine tweezers a big help. If you are coming to the XPO I will show you how. Its much better that describing it.
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Thanks Colin & Yvonne,

We are planning to come to the expo so I'll bring what's left of the skin.

See you there!

Comment

Im sure Richard Gallon will have his microscope. he will soon tell you.

Cheers

Ray
              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
              On
              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

For any members in the Birmingham/West Midlands area I can offer skin sexing at the shop if interested.

Contact me on either 01213734990 or via e-mail at mike@serpents-web.co.uk for more details.

Mike.
                www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Working...
                X