• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire in Instituto Butantan

This is a sad day for tarantula taxonomy:

Fire destroys 500 000 samples from the Instituto Butantan

Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
    "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Damn, such a shame.

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Fire in Instituto Butantan

That's a great loss to science, but fortunately no one seems to have been hurt.

All those alcohol specimens. Must have been one heck of a fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Collection:

Comment

That is not the news you want to hear.

Science loses out again ... tis sad.

not the sort of thing you can just put back in place in a few months either...

Old alcohol bottles Phil, not good eh? would be almost like fighting a losing battle for the firecrews
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

How sad, seems there were specimens not yet described lost in the fire, such a blow to science.
          though at least their records and notes of the work done so far have been saved. x
          Owner of:
          A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
          Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
          Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Oh dear, thats is indeed a huge loss!
            As Phil said though, it's good that no one was hurt.
            www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

For those interested, a Brazilian user on AB made a translation better than that of google translate: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show....php?p=1654384

"The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
              "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

I just got the information that some microscopes, loaned material, books and computers were saved.

Comment

gutted.....................dont know what to say

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                    gutted.....................dont know what to say
                    Seconded. In shock.
                    A, abdomen, abstain, ace, advantage, aegis, ajar, aluminium, ambidextrous, angel, angle, ant, aphid, apple, Arachnida, arachnology: an awesome activity!

Comment

What a shocker - that will set-back Neotropical theraphosid taxonomy by decades!

And that's why types of new species should always be placed in several museums (and preferably different countries in case of war, terrorist attacks etc...). Don't keep all your eggs in one basket...

Don't expect a revision of the Avicularia any time soon!!!

Cheers,
                      Richard

Comment

I just noticed:

Fire in Instituto Butantan
                        Started by Zoltan Mihaly Lestyan

I hope you have a good lawyer Zoltan
                        Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

I don't know what theraphosid types were/are in IB... but according to the latest information I received, the material Bertani is working with wasn't destroyed, and thus Bertani isn't affected. Brescovit, Almeida, Rheims... well, I don't envy them.

Comment

Absolutely devastating.

That sounds about right Zoltan, as as far as i can see it is the main collections building, where many kind people as you mention had years of their research, including other kindly mygal experts Sylvia Lucas, Rafael Indicatti and Flavio Yamamoto, among the others you mention. These collections were huge and very important. If its the section i know directly, then i was in there just in there last summer, this is totally devastating.

My heart goes out to all of them for these huge losses.
                            We as a society should be ready to support them in whatever way possible.
                            British Tarantula Society
                            My Lovely spiders:

Comment

It's amazing something like this happens in such an important Institute... a huge loss indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X