1st arboreal. Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st arboreal. Which one?

I'm sure this question keeps popping up from time to time, but I have not found anything on my forum search. So apologies.
    BTS exhib coming up and I was wondering whether to get an arboreal T. But which one? What would you suggest? And why?
    Thanks

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

i must suggest the P. rufilata. any pokie really, i just love the coloring on the rufilata. i have found them to be very hardy, and all mine like to stay more visable than my avics or african arborials. some of them can also get to be a good size.
    my tarantulas
    001 A. seemani 010 A. avicularia 001 B. auratum 001 B. smithi 001 C. bechaunicus 100 C. huahini 001 C. cyaneopubescens 001 C. crawshayi 002 E. murinus 112 G. rosea 010 H. albostriatum 010 H. lividum 001 H. maculata 001 L. violaceopes 001 L. parahybana 100 N. chromatus 010 P. cancerides 001 P. fasciata 010 P. rufilata 001 P. striata 001 P. cambridgei 010 P. irminia001 P. murinus 001 P. lugardi 001 S. calceata 001 T. violaceus

Comment

I'll agree with Darell on the P. rufilata they have a certain "different appeal" to the other pokies through colouration, and are quite bullet proof.
      Then again any pokie would be a good start, there have been some fantastic looking P. regalis too.
      Avics are another idea, although a little more attention to humidity and ventilation needs to be observed. i would go for something like a sp. "Peru Purple" or a nice A. versicolor
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I say this to everyone who ask my this question, Psalmopoeus!!!! A lot of people overlook these amazing aboreals whilst looking in to Pokies or Avics. They are my equivilent to Pokies, in fact I got rid of a few Pokies to get a couple of Psalmopoeus!! LOL. You have a choice between irminia, cambridgei, pulcher and reduncus (these are the available Psalmopoeus species in the hobby). P.irminia is obviously the real looker of the bunch, and a joy to keep. They grow like weeds, are voracious eaters and pretty straight forward to breed. And the spider shop have s'lings
        2xB.vagans, B.smithi, 2x L.parahybana, L.polycuspulatus, G.aureostriata, C.fasciatum, B.albopilosum, B.boehmei, P.pulcher, H.maculata, C.crawshayi, L.violaceopes, C.cyanopubescens, 3xP.irminia, 2xP.murinus RCF, 2xP.cambridgei, C.fimbriatus, C.schioedtei, A.pupurea, A.azuraklassi, A.versicolor, H.lividum, P.reduncus.

Comment

i had completely forgot about Psalmopoeus. i have iriminia and cambridgei. although the iriminia is indeed beautiful, the cambridgei has its own subtle beauty as well. also, they are just as hardy as pokies. i like to think of them as the new world equivalent.
          my tarantulas
          001 A. seemani 010 A. avicularia 001 B. auratum 001 B. smithi 001 C. bechaunicus 100 C. huahini 001 C. cyaneopubescens 001 C. crawshayi 002 E. murinus 112 G. rosea 010 H. albostriatum 010 H. lividum 001 H. maculata 001 L. violaceopes 001 L. parahybana 100 N. chromatus 010 P. cancerides 001 P. fasciata 010 P. rufilata 001 P. striata 001 P. cambridgei 010 P. irminia001 P. murinus 001 P. lugardi 001 S. calceata 001 T. violaceus

Comment

I have lots of P. irminia and P. regalis slings up for grabs at mo and will be selling these at BTS on the Invicta table along with some A. urticans.
            P. cambridgei £3 each or 10 for £20
            P. irminia £5 each or 3 for £12

You might also consider Tapinauchenius, Cyriopagopus or Lampropelma genus or the P. murinus which often adopts an arboreal set-up as well as H. maculata.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

how much are your regalis slings Peter?

need to get back into my pokies, I never should have sold them in the first place

Comment

Don't get smelly Poecilotheria! stick to Psalmopoeus. much better!

P. cambridgei is the only T i've personally seen that is a consistent green. these are stunning post moult, lovely mossy/velvety look to them, with orange highlights. they get big too!

P. irminia is among the flashier members of the genus, velvety black with orange chevrons and highlights.

P. pulcher is criminally underappreciated. they are metallic gold on the carapace, with many other lovely colours over the rest of them, particularly peachy pink setae on the legs. beautiful!

P. reduncus is subtle but beautiful, rich brown colouration with a bronze carapace. most docile member of the genus, in my experience.

they all go through transitions in colour from sling to adult (P pulcher less so, i think), so that's fun to watch, they're all easy to look after, and so easy to breed even i seem to be doing alright!

failing that, Avicularia are amazing as well.

(by the way, only kinda joking about Poecilotheria, but only slightly lol...Psalmopoeus is obviously better )
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

I have to agree with peter, give the lampropelma sp a try possibly Violaceopes. I have heeard and seen a few which were quite a size when fully out. I personally am the most respectful of my H.maculata as there is a quiet evil intent about it lol.
                  Tarantulas kept:
                  0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

nice recommendation...Singapore blues are beautiful. i'd also recommend Cyriopagopus schoiedtei.
                    H maculata and S calceatum are beautiful...the African arboreal spiders are amazing.
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Thank you very much everyone, that'll give me a lot to look into for the next few days. Appreciate your ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria Clarke View Post
                        how much are your regalis slings Peter?

need to get back into my pokies, I never should have sold them in the first place
                        Sorry for the late reply, must have missed this.

The large regalis and striata juveniles (3-4") have all gone and were sold for £12 each
                        However, I have 2 sacs of regalis which, fingers crossed, I'll be selling end of June.
                        I also have rufilata, pederseni, ornata and striata breeding projects

Comment

Hi peter, just a question have you got a shop? i live round your area, and im alwats looking for new T's if you have any nice juvees, can you let me know.
                          I'm looking for a nice size juvee that will be great display for my glass tank Viv that i found as a bargin in The range shop !

Comment

hi Paolo, unfortunately I don't have a shop, if only we could start our lives again eh!
                            I use Cold Blooded in Rainham as he has a good selection of tarantula and other inverts plus a great array of snakes, lizards, frogs etc. Definitely worth a visit and he often does deals.

I'm reducing my terrestrials at mo, so I'll have a look, I know I have a L. polycuspulatus and P. murinus RCF if you're interested.

Comment

Cool ! i will let you know, i want be prepered with care sheet first, but i will considere your offer mate!
                              I know Cold blooded and yes its my favorite T's and snake shop too ! they are very cool and helpfull people there 2 serve and advice you.
                              I was there saturday and i set my eyes on a camel spider that they got!
                              Another good shop is Scales and Fangs in leigh on sea, but its a bit 20 mins drive though!

Comment

Working...
                              X