Urgent help needed RE cricket stuck under mouting T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed RE cricket stuck under mouting T

My A. chalcodes just webbed up some of the corner of it's enclosure. She hasnt eaten much recently, and never usually webbs this corner. I guessed this may mean an upcoming moult. As a precaution I began to remove the crickets I put in with her yesterday. I got two of the three, they are very lively and this took me a while.
    Next thing I know she had flipped onto her back. Under the webbing she is laying on is obv substrate but also some bark. Next to/under the piece of bark is the third cricket, still alive!

I know not to distrub a moulting T when it has flipped over but am very concerned this cricket will harm or disturb her while she is moutling!

What do I do? I can't tell if the cricket is trapped or just sitting there and will come out again. Also she is mouting right next to her heat mat, should I keep it on or turn it off?

Thank you for your help

Jo x
    Owner of:
    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

UPDATE:

The cricket wriggled out from under the bark and onto Rio's leg, she then flipped back into standing postion and the cricket ran away, so I managed to nab it. I then had to run out to pick my daughter up.

When I returned, Rio was half standing, half lying on her side. Pics to follow.

Is this an ok position for her to be in? And is it ok to leave her heat mat on, as she is lying next to it (this is the corner of the enclosure she has chosen to moult in so Im inclined to leave it on, she must know what she's doing when she chose the area and prepared it?

Thanks

J x
    Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

I would be inclined to leave her be and hope she flips back.

Once she knows nothing is going to bother her as in crickets jumping on her leg she will be fine.

Here's to you finding a spider in new clothes in the morning

CJ.

Comment

HI joanna,
          I dont think the position rio is in is anything to worry about.my grammostola pulchra molted standing upright then toppled on to its back half way through.I would just leave rio to to it but keep a close eye on it.As for the heat mat i think it depends on weather it stays the same temp and gives off a steady regular heat or do you get irregular temp fluctuations?If the latter is true then i would move the mat from directly underneth the T.I generally dont like the idea of a heat mat being directly underneath a molting T as you run the risk of desiccation (drying out)
          hope all goes well

regards

chris
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Joanna

Hope everything is ok with Rio this morning.

Trouble with moulting is there isnt a lot you can do and the spider knows best.

Its us the owners who stress out about things while they get on with it in their own sweet time.

All the Best

CJ.

Comment

Was on the phone to Jo last night and Rio went right back over again and started molting well. Had a text from her this morning to say she was done and all seemed well. I am sure she will be on soon and will put up some pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy Clinch View Post
                Was on the phone to Jo last night and Rio went right back over again and started molting well. Had a text from her this morning to say she was done and all seemed well. I am sure she will be on soon and will put up some pictures
                As long as the spid is ok and Joanna managed to get some sleep thats all that matters

CJ.

Comment

Hi Chris,

just popped on to update. Yes, some sleep was had, Rio flipped over around 9pm, and I avidly took hourly pics until 12 when I took several pics til 2.15am, when molting was done! Shattered today after not enough sleep but well worth staying up late for!

She looks lovely today, and has even attempted a wander round her enclosure, showing off her shiny newness. Pictures to follow!

Thanks for updating a bit for me Mand

x
                  Owner of:

Mummy of:

Comment

Working...
                  X