Worried abt m A. Seemanni..Need HELP pls~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried abt m A. Seemanni..Need HELP pls~

Holla BTS members, i have 2 A. seemanis..and as we all knw tht this sp. loves to burrow themselves...but i noticed both of my seemannis has sealed its burrow entrance few days ago..i mean, it is completely sealed off....so, its the 5th day already & they stil remain inside their burrow...so the question playing in my mind was:

1. will they (my Seemannis) suffer respiration problem/suffocate inside their burrow? Bcuz it seems like the entrance of their burrow is TOTALLY sealed, no access frm above ground...i am worried about the ventilations inside their burrows..is it okay??

...most information tht i get frm the internet explained tht its goin in a moulting mode..but both of my seemannis has moulted like 2 weeks ago..so d moulting matter is not an issue in this situation...hopefully someone can explain this behaviour..thx!!

personally i wouldnt worry about ventilation, it shouldnt be an issue, although it seems as though they are solidly blocked in, the substrate is not a brick wall, oxygen can flow through it.
    unfortunately this isnt a species i have kept so i cannot comment on their current behaviour. as they are both displaying identical behaviour in respect of the sealed burrows, i would say that it probably isnt a problem with the T itself, it is premoult behaviour but obviously you have disproved this theory in your explanation. i hope someone can help on the matter but like i said, i myself personally wouldnt be too worried by it
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I also dont see a problem with respiration in sealed burrows, enough oxygen can pass through the small pores in the soil, that it isnt a problem. The spiders really dont respire much like we do, and especially not when inactive.

Yes its common for species like these to seal the burrows when moulting, probably in most part to protect themselves, but it also will help keep humidity higher in the sealed burrow, and slight humidiy can help ease the difficult moulting process. Theres a really high chance they are wild caught, so they are still accoustomed to natural cycles.

So, basically, they are probably just doing what is natural, they would want sealed burrows while moulting, and they are only just out of that process, so now active enough again, they may be effectively 're-sealing' the burrows that they wanted sealed while moulting. It could in part be due to humidity, so if its totally dry they might want some more moisture.
      British Tarantula Society
      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
      X