Photographing Tarantulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing Tarantulas

Has anyone got any tips on how to photograph a T properly? I always end up with very blurry shots when I try.
    Boris's Diary - written by me, he might have 8 legs but he's not big enough to press the keys yet.

Hi Vicky, all depends what camera you use and how you have it set up. Some T's sit still and some don't , I always use a flash, a diffuser is always handy and can be made at home. The idea of using the flash means that indoors you can use faster shutter speeds and lower the risk of blurred shots, but that could be focusing issues also. I photograph insects and spiders in the woods near to my home and the faster the shutter speed the better the results. I don't always get it right as I shake a lot and that blurs my images and I cant afford a new camera just yet, So I take a lot of pictures and get them in photoshop and pick the best ones. If theres anything I can help with I will do my best.
    Steve

Comment

photography is something I struggle with. To be honest a better camera might help, lol! What sort of camera do you use Stephen? Is there something you or anyone else could recommend?

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

As mentioned flash will freeze frame your subject.

Auto-focus also helps but if you are to close to the subject it wont work.

I have a old 350D Canon DSLR and flip between 18mm-55mm lens and 60mm macro.

But have seen some stunning pix taken with modern compacts on the forums.

Canon G9 seems a popular compact no idea on price though.

CJ.
        Last edited by Christopher Smallman; 06-06-10, 10:16 PM. Reason: added Canon G9 info.

Comment

I use a fujifilm 602szoom, it's an old compact slr. Cost 60 quid a few years ago and pretty much does everything I need. As has been said many modern compacts will do the job well, macro setting, zoom and flash to up the shutter speed. Reasonably priced too, if I upgrade I'll go for the nikon p80 though or another fujifilm as I can't fault it.

Comment

hi there ! well i know that this don't sound very professional, but I use my C905 camera fone at the moment with all most my pics and if you have a steady hand you can actually admire some of the shots,(cosidering that a sonyericsson done that) I know its not comparible to a Cannon or a nikon, or whatelse is out there, but i'm happy with the pics i have, some of them are pretty cool.

Mind you i'm not an expert though.....

Comment

Hi i use a pentax optio e85 12.1mp for my pics and i must say lighting is a major factor in getting a gd pic imo again i'm no expert just love taking pics.I use the macro setting and autofocus and as Stephen has said i also take alot of pics and pick out the best 1's and crop the image in picasa.I am hoping to buy a Canon EOS 550D soon as photography is becoming of interest to me and i really enjoy taking pictures of my T's

Aarons Collection:

Comment

Hello Vicky.
                I use a nikon F301 slr,fujifilm mx-2900 zoom and my iPhone.
                the big problem is glare from the tank and maybe a polarizer filter could deal with that as I've had great pics using one with water shots.
                the fujifilm auto focus can't handle the detail up close and the iPhone saves all images big enough to edit ( very big lol )

regards.
                John.

Comment

Camera make and cost are really irrelevant if you follow a few simple tips.
                  Most people are using a compact so these hints and tips are primarilly suited to these cameras

Use flash where possible, even in bright daylight the flash (on auto) will act as a "fill in" and eliminate deep shadows. (if the subject is bright enough then the flash will not activate so it's pretty fool proof)

If you have macro setting then make sure that "auto flash" can be used (todays cameras will choose all the relevant exposure times etc for you) Try to steady your camera on something (tripod if pos) wait for any focusing beeps etc and press the shutter button smoothly to avoid shake. Take time to do everything smoothly and blurring will be reduced.

If you have no macro then shoot the subject from further away (yet as close as autofocus will let you) and on the highest setting you can (Resolution/dpi/ etc) then use a photoediting software to crop the image as needed to get rid of the waste area around the spider you dont want.

Shooting further away will get the whole spider in focus whereas shooting closer (as in macro) could possibly only focus on the closest part of the spider to you (this is called depth of field and most compacts don't have the option to adjust parameters like shutter speed & aperture to increase depth of field as Digital SLR's do)
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thats why I opted for a compact slr style camera, with all automatic and full manual mode, optical zoom and super macro...does everything I need apart from stop me shaking which is what ruins all my photos.

Comment

I've been checking out a few different ones today. The Canon Powershot A480 seems quite reasonable priced. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks when I can afford it.
                      My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                        I've been checking out a few different ones today. The Canon Powershot A480 seems quite reasonable priced. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks when I can afford it.
                        All depends what budget youre on, I know what I'd get...The Nikon p80 does the lot and it should have come down in price a bit now, either that or a 2006/7 Fujifilm again as I already know the layout, very easy to use and very versatile cameras. I never saw reason to go for DSLR as my needs arent worth spending that much, money better spent on spiders!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                          I'm looking for one for my boyfriends birthday present and i keep coming back to that one!

I have a Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd (£120 inAsda about 18 months ago) which is brilliant EXCEPTwhen i take a pic with the flash, it freezes the camera andthe only way to get it working is to take the batteries out and start again, and i lose the shot

If i take the memory card out, it works, but the camera only stores about 8 shots. It's really annoying but i deal with it.

The best tip i can give is use your macro setting, then crop in whatever picture editing soft ware you have
                          Good luck!

Comment

I agree, with all of you, i start getting addicted 2 taking shots of my T's 2, i think its a combine hobby i guess, i just like to show some of the best shots that i took, to my friends, and try 2 educate in some way, that Spiders,and Tarantulas in general are not so evil and scary as a lot of people seems to think,
                            and actually are very pretty and unique creatures!!

Comment

A lot of people are taking their point and shoots and putting the Raynox DCR-250 on it. Not that I would suggest joining another discussion board, as I don't have time for even one, but the ATS board has a section on this topic.

It's not widely used, but it is specific to the topic. Also, one of the last posts is of a scorpion feeding using that lens supplementing a Canon S5 IS which is a very nice camera for the money.

One user uses a light box around the tarantulas. Basically it's a cardboard box with the sides removed and replaced with a white film to disperse two bright (but cool temperature) compact fluorescent bulbs.

Colin is correct, light is needed not only for good color, but faster shutter times.
                              They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

Working...
                              X