need info on blue femur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on blue femur

hi there evryone i need help. first of all is the blue femur coremiocnemis species and the euathlus sp blue pichidangui blue beauty the same tarantula. i would love to get one of these spiders but not sure if the two i have mentioned are the same. the other problem is i cant seem to find any care sheets on these t's. it would be really helpfull if i knew what they are like ie temprement heat and humidity requirements and so on. thank's everyone .

I think they are both the same, i have Euathlus sp blue. It is a very calm spider and very easy to keep, being a species from chile,they prefair it on the cooler side and hate humidity so i keep roughly the same as B Smithi but cooler.
    My adult female eat's 2-3 times a month.
    Quite a smallish spid-grows to around 12-15 cm.
    Go ahead and get one, they are a beautiful spid with a lovely nature and i say are even calmer then G Rosa
    If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
    the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

Coremiocnemus sp blue femur is an Asian burrowing spider...likely to have fairly different care to the terrestrial Chilean Euathlas sp blue femur.
      i've not had experience with the former and only briefly with the latter, so can't offer any practical advice, unfortunately.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

hi there daniel sorry it's taken so long to reply been having trouble with the computer. anyway thank's for the info you've given me sounds a lovely spid. i think lee at the spider shops got a few in i'll try my luck thank's again mate much appreciated.

Comment

thank's for getting back to me james im glad you mentioned about the coremiocnemus sp blue fumer because if it comes from asia chances are it's going to be aggressive and im not ready for anything like that cheers mate much appreciated.

Comment

i'd expect it to be shy but defensive if cornered! probably rather fast too. so yeah maybe one to work up to! personally my Asian spiders rarely cause me stress, but i can understand the caution
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

cheers for that james. i think it would be a good idea to steer clear for now. there.s always the other option like the blue fumer from chilli.

Comment

Comment

This is one of largest and stockiest Tarantulas found in Chile. They are colourful and have unusual fluffy silver hairs on the carapace. As well as having intense metallic navy blue femurs they also have bright pink stripes on the knees and long red fluffy hairs on the abdomen. This species is easy to keep and spends a lot of time out in the open. This is a very rare species as only a small number of specimens have been exported out of Chile.
                  I came across a photo of this species in an old Tarantula book, labelled as "Pichidangui Island Purple (Euathlus pulcherrimaklassi), CHILE" and no other information. I couldn’t believe I was unaware of such an attractive species and surprised that it wasn't widespread in the hobby like other colourful species, from that point on I was determined to track down this species. But where do you start? The scientific name turned out to be a dead end as the species described as E.pulcherrimaklassi turned out to be a different species from Ecuador and unlikely the spider I was searching for. The only clues I had where from a book that was published when I still played with He-Man figures and a common name that suggests its possibly found on Pichidangui Island. I got in contact with Ray Gabriel as not only being an oracle of knowledge on anything involving Tarantulas; he had kept this species before. I was told that this species was imported 20 or so years ago by a British dealer and sold for high prices but was never bred and disappeared from the hobby. But he did confirm that it was found in Chile though the "Pichidangui Island" part was questionable.
                  I sent copies of the photo to our contacts in Chile to see if they had ever come across this species and though they hadn't they would go and have a look at the area. Pichidangui is a coastal town and Pichidangui Island turned to be not much of a Island, more a pile of rocks covered with Sea gulls which was a disappointment. In 2007 I was told that they had found some and a small number was imported into the UK. These specimens however rather than having blue femurs they had metallic green femurs which we assumed they must be another colour form of the same species. These where found in the same region as Pichidangui but further in land high in the mountain ranges.
                  In 2008 our guys in Chile managed to find the blue form, the spider from the photo. They where found on the coast and by the coast I literally mean on the beach. I visited the area in May 2008 and along a stretch of beach and in-between sand dunes there was planted out crops of rocks where the spiders live in burrows. Now that both "forms" where available for Taxonomical study it became aware that these where in fact two different species, neither of which where E.pulcherrimaklassi. What is interesting is that over the "Green Femur" species is found over a large range (Considered to be 250 miles) and the "Blue Femur" form is found in the middle of this range creating a divide.

Comment

dont no if i can post this, just wonted to help., dint no how to post a link

Comment

lee that's brilliant loads of info and a very interesting read. thanks for getting back to me on these t's. thats just what im looking for. there's another species of blue fumer that comes from asia and thats the one i need to avoid as they can be quite sharp if you know what i mean though i wouldn't rule that one out. maybe one day we'll see. thank's again lee.

Comment

glad to be of help,

Comment

Working...
                        X