1st T Substrate Advise Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st T Substrate Advise Required

Hi, I had been complentating getting myself a T for a couple of years and my gf bought me a Chile Rose for my birthday.
    It was in a container with a peat substrate when collected and I have moved it into a glass vivarium which is more secure as I have kids.
    I used a peat(70%)/vermiculite(30%) 2" deep mix for the substrate.
    It moulted 48hrs after I collected it and since then it appears to sit on top of its cork bark hide (without sitting up all night to see if it comes down).

I had a bag of cork bark pieces which I have laid over a third the existing substrate and immediately 'Frank' has come down from on top the hide.

From this I pressume he isn't happy with the substrate and would like some advice in how to give him the best possible housing condition i can.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

My advice would be 4 inches minimum of very dry peat, no vermiculite (this is really just used for water retention and it's not needed with this species)
    They will burrow if given the chance with deeper substrate, you might not see them too much but they will be behaving naturally.
    Water can be provided in a dish (overflowed occasionally) or just by pouring a little water into a corner of the tank.
    You can utilise the corkbark by half burrowing it in the substrate for the spider to start a burrow off itself.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thats brilliant. Will look at modifying this weekend and hopefully will have a happier T.

Thanks for advise, will post pic once all sorted.

Comment

Working...
      X