Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.pulchra

Hi one and all

I'm looking for any details you can give on owning G.pulchra if you had very deffensive ones or ones that were just fantasic or if you just keep alot of them.
    It's all info that helps no matter how much you think it might not.
    I've asked on American sites and now want the brits to have a say and then I can just how much this t is liked or hated.

Thanks.
    John

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
    ... I'm looking for any details you can give on owning G.pulchra ...
    One of the most easily cared for species. Almost always very laid back and docile.

... I've asked on American sites ...
    Well, here's an opinion from a Canuck. FANTASTIC SPIDERS.

How can any tarantula that's jet black be so beautiful?
    The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley A. Schultz View Post
      One of the most easily cared for species. Almost always very laid back and docile.

I have the book and it's very good.
      The pulchra is nice for a black tarantula .But it's the personality that I think makes it so good to own.

Comment

hey john, G.pulchra's are mini bulldozers and have a great appetite, almost like a Rosea but just a tad larger and obv jet black lol. They will be along the lines of Rosea's in that generally they are very docile and will run before flicking hairs etc, yet there is always a chance you get a bad seed (not to put you off as its highly unlikely). Have you thought of Eupalaestrus campestratus as they have been labelled "one of the most docile tarantulas in the world".
        Tarantulas kept:
        0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrison View Post
          hey john, G.pulchra's are mini bulldozers and have a great appetite, almost like a Rosea but just a tad larger and obv jet black lol. They will be along the lines of Rosea's in that generally they are very docile and will run before flicking hairs etc, yet there is always a chance you get a bad seed (not to put you off as its highly unlikely). Have you thought of Eupalaestrus campestratus as they have been labelled "one of the most docile tarantulas in the world".
          Hi Mark.
          I was told the Eupalaestrus campestratus is very fast and scares easy..But I have read they are very tolorant and you can palm them upsidedown with no worries and are easy deal with.
          But they are hard to get hold of ( unless some one on here owns some and wants to come foreward ) ?
          I hear the rosea is not as good as it makes out with mood swings and changing personality at a flick of a switch..

Comment

Hi Mark.
            I was told the Eupalaestrus campestratus is very fast and scares easy..But I have read they are very tolorant and you can palm them upsidedown with no worries and are easy deal with.
            But they are hard to get hold of ( unless some one on here owns some and wants to come foreward ) ?
            I hear the rosea is not as good as it makes out with mood swings and changing personality at a flick of a switch..
            To be honest with you john, all spiders are prone to off days, i have had my Rosea threat pose and my Crawshayi get rehoused without even a hiss or fang shown. Some spiders are know to have a change of personality after a moult, but so far i have yet to see it in my own spiders. As for the Campestratus i have no experience with this spider so cannot comment on whether what you have heard is true etc but i guess it would be the same as a rosea in that it totally depends on how you move around the spider and other mitigating factors. You have a B.smithi dont you? i would have thought if you have got used to its moods etc then a new world sp like Roseas would be a great step for you.
            Tarantulas kept:
            0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrison View Post
              To be honest with you john, all spiders are prone to off days, i have had my Rosea threat pose and my Crawshayi get rehoused without even a hiss or fang shown. Some spiders are know to have a change of personality after a moult, but so far i have yet to see it in my own spiders. As for the Campestratus i have no experience with this spider so cannot comment on whether what you have heard is true etc but i guess it would be the same as a rosea in that it totally depends on how you move around the spider and other mitigating factors. You have a B.smithi dont you? i would have thought if you have got used to its moods etc then a new world sp like Roseas would be a great step for you.
              Hi Mark.
              I wouldn't say as yet my smithi has has moods as such.
              As a pet rock it isn't as it's always on the move unless eating - grooming - sleeping ( if they do )
              But watching it does make me wonder just how much is instinct and how much is thinking.

Comment

Hi Mark.

Yep my B.smithi has now shown his bossy side lol.
                I now also have a G.porteri and a G.pulchra is on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley A. Schultz View Post

from a fellow Canuck: well said!

mine is a bit eager for food...i was trying to rehouse her, and she kept turning to face me and even struck!
                  my friend's is actually quite huge...
                  they are great spiders, fully recommended!
                  Last edited by James Box; 10-03-11, 11:55 AM.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                  My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                    from a fellow Canuck: well said!

mine is a bit eager for food...i was trying to rehouse her, and she kept turning to face me and even struck!
                    my friend's is actually quite huge...
                    they are great spiders, fully recommended!
                    So yours was having a off day?.
                    What rate do they grow at as I wonder if I should go for a sling or juvi .

Comment

So yours was having a off day?.
                      What rate do they grow at as I wonder if I should go for a sling or juvi .
                      off day? nah...she was just hungry, i think. she assumes everything is food first!!!
                      they grow VERY slowly.
                      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Wouldnt be without mine a right little clown always into something.

But no way would I pick her up or touch her with a finger as everything is regarded as food or an enemy either way its going to hurt lol.

Found she grows about the same as a Brachypelma smithi.

Chris S.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
                          Wouldnt be without mine a right little clown always into something.

But no way would I pick her up or touch her with a finger as everything is regarded as food or an enemy either way its going to hurt lol.

Found she grows about the same as a Brachypelma smithi.

Chris S.
                          Sounds fun lol ..
                          I have a B.smithi so that gives me an idea on growth even if my smithi is male.
                          I'll have to keep fingers cross the expo has some as I haven't come across any for sale.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                            off day? nah...she was just hungry, i think. she assumes everything is food first!!!
                            they grow VERY slowly.
                            So they are good eaters .. I read that they bang their front legs if not happy?.
                            Any thing else they do ?.

Comment

So they are good eaters .. I read that they bang their front legs if not happy?.
                              Any thing else they do ?.
                              almost all Theraphosids do that, it's a common enough threat display...
                              erm, walk around, dig at the substrate, etc...in short, they act like spiders lol
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X