Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seasonal changes

Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking of offering my tarantulas 4 seasonal changes...spring, summer, autumn and winter.
    Has anyone got any advice on each seasons change of lighting, heat, humidity and food.
    Thanks all
    Regards
    Chris
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Basically get a weather report from each area they come from for the last year and simulate it next year.

I used to reverse winter and summer for mine so our warmer summer months acted as a winter period, then i'd only have to spend money on any required heating throughout the winter (their summer) months.
    worked quite well
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

This is an interesting point and one, I have to say, I hadn't thought of before! I don't bother with heat mats etc at the moment, cos with this warm weather the temp gage is reading the same as with the heat mat in the cooler months. This however means it's one constant temp all year round.

Is this a danger, should I think about giving them some difference in temp and if so how do I engineer this? Would it be fair to say that, as Ive only had them since spring, the heat mat wont be heating the enclosure as much in winter with the room itself being slightly colder or won't this make a difference?

Thank you

J x
      Owner of:
      A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
      Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
      Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Hi joanna,
        I agree, an interesting point and one which i do not know much about. I do know that tarantulas use heat, humidity, light, light intensity and the availability of food as a Que to there annual cycles. Without creating annual cycles do they get confused/stressed...is it time to molt, mate, make sperm webs, create egg sacks? I don't know, like i said i don't know much about this subject. I'm not sure if keeping them at a constant temperature all year round will have a detrimental effect on them, but i believe its best to try and create an environment that is closely matched to that that experienced in the wild. Because i have so many different tarantulas from different parts of the world I'm not sure if i can create one annual cycle for all of them. If you want to control the temperature of your tanks i suggest you use a thermostat. Don't place the thermostat probe in with your tarantula as it will most likely chew and break it. You could put the probe in a separate tank that is the same size as what you keep your t"s in and also set up the same way and keep this tank on your heat mat with the rest of your tarantulas. As regards to the seasonal cycles of tarantulas i will send Stanley A. Schultz an email and see what his opinion is on this matter
        Kind regards
        Chris

Comment

Thanks chris, good advice. Up til now have just had the heat mat on the outside of the adults cage and the juvie ones placed next to the heat mat side of the adult cage so they catch some heat too. Have a thermometer and hygrometer inside the adult cage, the round stick on the side ones from the spider shop. Just waiting on some money to come in and then am getting some new enclosures for them so considering heat matting the shelf behind all enclosures. I just tend to (in weather cool enough to warrant a heat mat) have it on in the day and turn it off of a night, same as I have become accustomed to sitting in the dark with just tv for light as they are in the downstairs room (we onyl have one reception room downstairs see). This is how I make sure they have day/night cycles. Never though about seasonal ones.

Would be very interested in seeing what Stanley Schultz has to say on this matter, especially as am getting some new equipment for them soon, so can consider that when getting it.

J x
          Owner of:
          A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
          Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
          Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Hi joanna,
            I will send stanley an email and When i receive a reply, i will post his opinions on this matter.
            Kind regards
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X