Heat mats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat mats!

At the moment I'm not using a heat mat but I will be in the colder months. I am now intending to get a long heat mat and attach to the shelf behind the enclosures.

Problem is Ive been on the spider shop website, they have a choice of heat mats, with varying watts. What watt am I looking for? Not really sure how this works! Is the watt just related to the size of the matt? Also, do I want a long heat mat or a long heat strip?

Thanks guys! x
    Owner of:
    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

To be honest Joanna as long as you havve a thermostat which can carry the wattage everything should be fine. I'd recommend using a thermostat regardless as it saves having to keep checking the spiders all the time (not that you wouldn't be doing that anyway)!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

The size of the tank/s you are heating will help.
      I also think a stat is a must as the above post states.
      Any size mat which is not stat controlled ,can get very, very hot.
      Paul

Comment

I don't use a heat mat for any of mine after reading a lot of stuff saying room temp is ok.....am i wrong? Should i get a mat?

Comment

you are wrong.
          Different spp. require different temps but room temp is maybe 73F and all my spiders require a lot more than that.

Comment

I can't edit so I will say that 78F is the average....some a tad higher but none lower.

Comment

Mandy, it depends on what your room temperature is. In my house, it has been known to drop as low as 9 degrees in the living room! (No, I'm not totally impervious to the cold, but we heat the room with a log fire which is obviously only lit when we're there). However, if you have a 'sensible' room temperature you'll be OK. My animal room is heated to between 22 and 24 degrees C and none of my spiders have any extra heating than that. That covers quite a range of species from different parts of the world.

Joanna, the wattage of all the mats marketed for heating exotic animals is usually related to their size, so a long one will be a higher wattage. You may just want to google to find out the wattage of the size you require, and of course follow Nicola and Paul's advice about thermostats.

Comment

Never use a heatmat at the bottom of the terrarium.

Comment

I wasn't intending to, nor have I ever done so, don't worry x x
                  Owner of:
                  A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
                  Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
                  Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

I recently came across a really good company based in Scotland for heat mats, their prices are very reasonable, I paid £6.49 for a 4"x5" mat! Postage is £2.49, I ordered Monday evening and the mat arrived Thursday afternoon. Less than a tenner altogether and the cheapest I'd been able to find a mat that size was £12 without postage! Their website is www.forttex.com and they also have an eBay shop
                    “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Comment

Working...
                    X