Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All that praying for a female was fruitless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All that praying for a female was fruitless...

I bought a P. metallica nymph from Lee at the BTS show a few years back. I have nurtured this little mite through the years and have been stunned by the beauty of this species. I have just discovered why it's not been eating for the last couple of months though, it's moulted into a mature male.

I don't want to get rid of him as he's gorgeous and he's part of the 'crew' now. Wondering whether it's worth offering him out on 50/50.

Is it worth the risk? How likely am I to get him back, I know there are obvious risks, and how successful are breedings with this species? Am I likely to get a return or is it just safer to hang on to him and just save up for another juv in the hope I can get my hands on a longer-lived female?

I'm sad because I know MMs don't last that long...

Jo

With so few males about i would say it is definitely worth offering him out for a 50/50 loan. It is always a bit of a gamble when sending males out on loan, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't but as they say you have to be in it to win it. If you do decide to offer him out on loan i have 2 females here that could use him.
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Comment

I may just take you up on that offer. Where are you based?

Comment

NE Scotland so a bit of a trek if you want to deliver him yourself.
        Put your arms around me
        I love you all

Comment

Ha, I had a feeling it was up there! Just curious, that's all. I might actually go for it, if you're interested?

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna Turner View Post
            I bought a P. metallica nymph from Lee at the BTS show a few years back. I have nurtured this little mite through the years and have been stunned by the beauty of this species. I have just discovered why it's not been eating for the last couple of months though, it's moulted into a mature male.

I don't want to get rid of him as he's gorgeous and he's part of the 'crew' now. Wondering whether it's worth offering him out on 50/50.

Is it worth the risk? How likely am I to get him back, I know there are obvious risks, and how successful are breedings with this species? Am I likely to get a return or is it just safer to hang on to him and just save up for another juv in the hope I can get my hands on a longer-lived female?

I'm sad because I know MMs don't last that long...

Jo
            UK Captive breeding of this species is extremely difficult and though many have tried most have failed.

Pre and post breeding conditioning of both spiders is an absolute must if success is to be achieved, this is also one species where it is reccomended to leave the male with the female and let her eat him if she so chooses, evidence suggests this increases the chance of a successful sac and healthier content.

IMO, though very dificult, captive breeding of this species is well worth the effort (not just for those people seeking £££££) captive bred and readily available slings will do much in reducing the poaching and fradulant activities that surround these beautiful spiders.

Regular availability of these may also go along way to reducing the extortionate price asked for by unscrupulous, greedy breeders.
            Wayne.

Comment

Hi Wayne

I agree, they are so hard to come by that this pushes the prices up to silly levels. This is why I was glad to have picked one up when I did. I have sourced some other slings to try again, so planning on buying some more, especially as there's a lot of satisfaction from rearing them from slings.
              I would be happy to loan him out even if it meant losing him if it increased the chances of a successful sac. Would it be better to perhaps offer for sale if there's a chance he could 'die happy'? :0)

Just trying to weigh up the options. I haven't got access to, or funds for, an AF and I haven't the experience or time to attempt breeding myself, so think it best left to the experts.

I would be sorry to see him go as I have had him for so long, but if he can put his final year to good use, then it seems a waste to just hang on to him.

Thanks for your response though

Jo
              Last edited by Johanna Turner; 18-07-10, 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

I sent my male Aphonopelma iodius up to Colin Wilson last Monday the first spid I have posted and although I had a sleepless night worrying about him he arrived safe and sound all the way from rural Shropshire to Scotland.

I told Colin I wouldnt want him returned so Elaine is going to look after him if he makes it through his blind date.

I do miss him as he was such a friendly chap but I dont breed spiders (yet ) so I wanted him to at least have the oppertunity to mate and complete his mission in life.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna Turner View Post
                  Hi Wayne

I agree, they are so hard to come by that this pushes the prices up to silly levels. This is why I was glad to have picked one up when I did. I have sourced some other slings to try again, so planning on buying some more, especially as there's a lot of satisfaction from rearing them from slings.
                  I would be happy to loan him out even if it meant losing him if it increased the chances of a successful sac. Would it be better to perhaps offer for sale if there's a chance he could 'die happy'? :0)

Just trying to weigh up the options. I haven't got access to, or funds for, an AF and I haven't the experience or time to attempt breeding myself, so think it best left to the experts.

I would be sorry to see him go as I have had him for so long, but if he can put his final year to good use, then it seems a waste to just hang on to him.

Thanks for your response though

Jo
                  Its a tough decision for you i think Johanna, you could sell him though pricing him may be difficult, a breeding loan is risky but may bear fruit in which case you will have a few more to raise from slings.

I would suggest the latter maybe the best option as long as you trust the person you're lending him to. I've known people lend males of this species and never hear back or get told the male was eaten befor copulation, or the female moulted out before she could drop a sac. infact I cant remember a single instance where a male P.metallica has been loaned out and been returned safe let alone with 50% of any sac, Greed plays a big part in this i think.

I bided my time and finally have a sub adult female that i paid a reasonable price for, she will be mature and ready to breed this time next year, I have already started conditioning her, and i may have a male for her when the time comes. i'm not interested in making loads of money off them, they will be sold at a fair price to people i know are responsible enough to continue the captive breeding programs.

Its a shame after all this time your spider turned out to be a male but something positive may come of it yet.
                  Wayne.

Comment

It isn't all quite as bleak as Wayne makes out but they are quite difficult to get a sac out of apparently. What you need to do is find someone trustworthy that breeds tarantulas for their own amusement and sells the slings off, regardless of species, for ridiculously cheap prices like say £1 each. But then where would you find someone like that?
                    Put your arms around me
                    I love you all

Comment

Originally posted by craig mcinnes View Post
                      It isn't all quite as bleak as Wayne makes out but they are quite difficult to get a sac out of apparently. What you need to do is find someone trustworthy that breeds tarantulas for their own amusement and sells the slings off, regardless of species, for ridiculously cheap prices like say £1 each. But then where would you find someone like that?
                      Maybe Not £1 each craig but glad to see we're on the same wavelength

Craig's right though its maybe not quite as bad as i make out but I'm biased when it comes to this species.
                      Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                      X