Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare species in UK, slings & prices

Hello.

I've got one unusual question. Can You tell me which species are rare in United Kingdom, and give me prices for slings??

I mean - f.e.
    B. albopilosum - after 1st moult - GBP 100

Thanks for your help.
    LIBERATE MY MADNESS!!

Originally posted by Thomas Grabiec View Post
    Hello.

I've got one unusual question. Can You tell me which species are rare in United Kingdom, and give me prices for slings??

I mean - f.e.
    B. albopilosum - after 1st moult - GBP 100

Thanks for your help.
    Thomas
    Thats like asking how long is a piece of string.

Species come and go, and some are not bred that often but when the are they are loads and freely available. Its really a un-answerable question.

I will say this that anyone paying £100 for B, albopilosum should seak medical help under the mental health act.

Of course there are always those who try to inflat the market and bred the rare in the hobby (not in the wild) species. But this as always does not last, this years big thing is next years common species...

B, albopilosum has been in the hobby for well over 30 years and I think I sold my captive bred offspring for 50p each. Although I have not seen them offered for a while.. still a really great spider in my books.

To asess current prices one should check out the classifieds on sites such as here and the main breeder traders web sites.

Ok granted there will always be scams so one should be wary and seel advice before parting with any funds.

Sorry this probaly does not answer your question

Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
      I will say this that anyone paying £100 for B, albopilosum should seak medical help under the mental health act.
      Mark

Thank you for answer.

I know that curly-hair is one of he most popular spids in hobby - it was just example, just to show what i mean. Maybe my post-counter doesn't look good here, but this is not my first forum and i'm not at the start. But thank you anyway.

I know, that this is not easy thing to do and i do not expect that you will tell me about all rare species in UK. I mean something like "quite popular rare species just now" like T. violaceus, M. balfouri etc.

Best regards, Tom
      LIBERATE MY MADNESS!!

Comment

Rare species in UK, slings & prices

Tom
        Oh dear I think you may have mis understood my reply a bit.

As for a post count that had no baring on my reply ok. We are not like that here.

Yes it's difficult to say prices on such new and rare in the hobby species and a great of prices are based on supply and demand.

Regards
        Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hey Tom mate, just keep an eye out for new found species, they'll be quite rare lol, or check that e-mail i sent u, he's got loadsa rare sp, or just come round mine neighber and i'll show u my collection lol
          If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
          the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

why dont you check out www.thespidershop.co.uk, they on occassion have rare sling sp. You shodnt get any of the brackypelm sp. as slings though, as they are very slow growing. You can get an adult for around £40

Comment

Tom I don't know if your new to spiders or not but I wouldn't get too hung up on the "rare" label. For myself when I'm buying anything new I deliberately avoid any sales posts with the word "rare" in them, either my eyes don't work or theres some odd switch in my head but I find myself unable to read the word rare in sales instead it translates to me as "trying to push up my asking price as I really don't have anything great to offer".

Granted there are a few occasion when a rare or unheard of species comes into the hobby, however these tend to just circulate around a few well known and experienced breeders before hitting mainstream and I know my life isn't short enough to warrant having to have the latest fad spider at the price of a kidney.

Plus the most important of all issues when buying is really does this animal appeal to me? if it doesn't make me go wow for reasons pertaining to the animal itself (not how cool I look having it) then no matter if it is the only one of its kind freshly imported from Jupiter never to be seen again this side of the moon for a 1000 years, it still won't be on my list. In fact some of the spiders I want most of all currently are some of the ones that are being bred by just about everyone.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                Hey Tom mate, just keep an eye out for new found species, they'll be quite rare
                This is the best sentence i ever heard, together with shark and bungee

Originally posted by Sagar
                why dont you check out www.thespidershop.co.uk, they on occassion have rare sling sp. You shodnt get any of the brackypelm sp. as slings though, as they are very slow growing. You can get an adult for around £40
                I know that site very good. And btw B. boehmei is my favourite spider - its so beautifull.

I really agree with You, Rich. Something "very rare" sometimes can be rubbish and this is just method to earn some extra money, unfortunately. Can sombody tell me, how much can i expect for slings of Tapinauchenius violaceus??

And maybe i will tell something about me.
                In Poland i had 10 spiders - like blondi, maculata, murinus, ornata, regalis etc. And also i'm moderator and first aider of Arachnea - the biggest and best polish portal. Of course i'm not angry or something, cause how could You know that??

Thanks to everyone for answers
                Best regards
                LIBERATE MY MADNESS!!

Comment

Tom i bought a tapinauchenius subcaeruleus sling for £5 at the BTS show and i personally have never seen them for sale anywhere. Just thought it would be in the same ballpark.
                  Tarantulas kept:
                  0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Hi Tom,

I have seen T.violaceus sold 2-3rd instar £15-£25 there abouts, this is from retailers though so you should expects to pay less on forums and classifieds.
                    Wayne.

Comment

Hi Thomas,
                      I think Mark inferred a good point which has been slightly overlooked. It is one which I have learnt from. Whilst its lovely to have the new latest thing, and if you can afford it then go for it, tarantula value can depreciate like a car when it comes to "newness". Look at how much a M. balfouri was when the little critters first came on the UK market, compared to now. Today you can get a P. metallica sling for less than half the price of 3-4 years ago. Thats the hobby and whilst prices have generally gone up over the past couple of years (infglation hits us all) genrally if you leave it 6-12 months for the spider to become established in the hobby the price of slings invariably will come down. Hope this helps.
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Think this could be the latest must have

Fads come and go but the classics will remain as in Brachypelma smithi

Chris.

Comment

@Nicola

Yes, this helps. I know, that prices very change, but from other side - if you want to buy f.e. P. metallica - you can wait 3 years and price will be lower. ok. But if you have cash - do you wait??

@Chris
                          I have seen it before, but anyway this is great spid and i really think about this. They are very slow-growing but look is wonderfull.
                          LIBERATE MY MADNESS!!

Comment

Working...
                          X