News Clipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Clipping

Anyone in the Bolton area missing some of their collection.......??

Oh my good god, i could be blinded ?????
    Thats it i'll have to leave the hobby

Seriously though, sensationalism like that doesn't do the hobby much good at all.

what gets me is, even though i know it's a tabloid high-light to sell papers and get hits on websites, what would be better is to include in the article information like ...

what do do if you see one
    simple examples of safe capture of the animal
    who to call if you see one

Education is never included in any articles like this ..... scare mongering is always present as it sells the story !!!!!

This sort of thing is, and always will be, a bugbear for all serious hobbyists and pet keepers alike.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Two found "a few miles apart" - could they not be two seperate escapee's? Does it instantly mean some kind of Arachnophobia incident is to occur with escaped"blinding" spiders taking over, perhaps mating with local spiders in the old barn and living in someones cellar, blinding anyone who comes near! With how idiotic the press are I wouldn't even have been suprised if they spouted such nonsense!

Surely they shouldnt be so silly, a simple someone's lost a few Ts, here's what to do if you see one would have done!

x
      Owner of:
      A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
      Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
      Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

The replies in this thread are exactly the same as I thought when I read about this 'minor' incident, and it's a shame that Ts still get a bad press.
        0.1.0 A. geniculata (Alice)
        0.1.0 A. versicolor (Tilly)
        0.0.1 B. boehemi (Blaze)
        1.0.0 B. smithi (Carlos)
        0.0.1 C. elegans (Ellie)
        0.1.0 C. fasciatum (Tia)
        0.1.1 E. murinus (Phantom, Morticia)
        2.0.1 G. pulchripes (Freddie, Six, Eve)
        0.2.0 G. rosea (Rosie, Bonnie)
        0.0.1 H. maculata (Macy)
        0.0.1 L. parahybana (Sally)
        0.1.1 N. chromatus (Medusa, Pepper)
        1.0.0 P. antinous (Jet)
        0.1.0 P. irminia (Sammy)
        0.0.1 T. apophysis (Poppy)

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna Pendleton View Post
          Does it instantly mean some kind of Arachnophobia incident is to occur with escaped"blinding" spiders taking over, perhaps mating with local spiders in the old barn and living in someones cellar
          If this ever gets made into a film i think i'll audition for the part of a mad pest controller, unless Goodman gets there first
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

What annoys me is the passing on of this irrational vew to peoples children. Invasion of spiders that can blind you? *shakes head* Anything to sell a paper eh?

Comment

Well thats another journalist "enhancing" their career!
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

wow hahahahah lets all of us wear goggles for health and seafty reasons...hahahahah we can loose our sight!!!!!

Comment

And to think...I could've saved myself a few quid, if I'd waited a bit longer I could've got a G. rosea for free just by visiting a friend in Bolton...!!! Like the media approach though..."Ooooh big hairy spider therefore it's dangerous..."*rolls eyes* only if your below it in the food chain...or deliberately mishandle them...!
                  Cheers

Denny

Re-formed arachnophobic since Dec '09

Comment

You're lucky you've still got eyes to roll, you should be blinded by now by that G. rosea Denny!

On another note, Arachnophobia II starring our very own Colin Wilson sounds good!

x
                    Owner of:
                    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
                    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
                    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Originally posted by Joanna Pendleton View Post
                      You're lucky you've still got eyes to roll, you should be blinded by now by that G. rosea Denny!

On another note, Arachnophobia II starring our very own Colin Wilson sounds good!

x
                      LOL...Like it Joanna...Surely the media could've got in touch with experts before scare mongering...? I'm sure there's plenty of members on here who could've advised the public what to do in the event of seeing a G. rosea and how to capture it safely and what to do with it and also what to do if the T did unfortunately bite (unlikely but you never know) but the media being the beast that it is is not interested in the actual truth...it's a big hairy spider so it's dangerous...!
                      Cheers

Denny

Re-formed arachnophobic since Dec '09

Comment

Working...
                      X