Branching out in to old world Ts now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branching out in to old world Ts now!

As you can see form my signature all our Ts so far have been new world! BUT I have just snapped up 3 1" OBTs for a very reasonable price! Due to be sent monday/delivered tuesday. Am now a little nervous about getting the P.terrors but I guess it will bring some excitement into my life if nothing else! Have read up about how to care for them/keep them etc.

Anyone else keep these and any tips on unpacking into their new homes without losing any or getting bitten?

Thanks

J x
    Owner of:
    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

P. Murinus get a bad rap in my eyes i have one adult female and 3 juve's and all i can say is watch out for their speed. When moving them i always make sure i have cricket tubs on stand-by, the new pot ready and my other tarantula tools at the ready. At that stage though they will run more than stand and try to bite you. I would advise you do it somewhere where if the worst does happen that there is nothing for it to hide under lol.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

I absolutely adore these, I have several of them including the results of an eggsac,
      my advise would be to rehouse in the bath, and make sure the plug is in and any over flow has been blocked off
      also put a rolled up towel in front of the closed door

I tried to be clever and rehouse in my spider room, in the blink of an eye my juvi was off across the table and gone......
      he had hidden himself under the table, if I wasnt so scared that I had an OBT lose, it would have been funny
      they sound like they have hobnail boots on, when they are running away!!!!

fabulous choice for a new world T

Comment

hi there joanna i just had a look at a couple of care sheets on these obt's and well rather you than me. i would steer well clear of these t's. all the best of luck though i think your very brave ha ha.

Comment

What you have to realise is their first line of defence is to threaten you because unlike our old world plodders they dont have a bum full of itchy hairs.

Also they never walk they have 2 speeds fast and hyper fast and my little Eucratoscelus pachypus seems just as fast going backwards as she does going forward lol.

I would also say because of their speed I would not be inclined to snap the lid shut on their containers if they make a dash for freedom as by the time you react you may catch a leg or even worse.

But Im sure yours will be a pussy cat

Chris.

Comment

They have a juvi male in my local place for £9.50 that i'm tempted by, but i don't have the guts. I freak out if a cricket gets on me, let alone an OBT. Maybe one day when i am more confident!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys - I always do housing over a large tub, think in this case I will go for housing in the bath though, good plan! The guy who is selling me them sent me a pic of one on his hand. Now obv I don't condone handling (and would never want to handle a P.terror anyway lol) but im thinking they are not ultra aggressive if he's happily wandering them over his hands?

I have terrible reaction time, maybe need to work on them before tuesday's arrival!

Good thing is they will eat the same size crickets as my daughters GBB sling so not gonna cost me any more in food!

x
              Owner of:
              A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
              Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
              Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Lol it's not the best old world to start with but i'm sure u'll be fine.
                Do it in the bath just to make sure like the others say, make sure u have some long tweezer's and a cricket tub to catch in. Important bit is not to freak when it bolt's.
                If possable-lay the tub what it's going to live in on the side so it'll run straight into from the pot u get it delivered in, if u give it a little touch with the tweezer's-it'll bolt right in.
                If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
                the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
                  unlike our old world plodders they dont have a bum full of itchy hairs.
                  New World ?? perhaps Chris??

Originally posted by Daniel Richardson View Post
                  Lol it's not the best old world to start with but i'm sure u'll be fine..
                  A lot of it's show, but Dan's right in saying this if you're used to a slowish terrestrial, these OBTs are very versatile, (able to live arboreal, terrestrial and fossorial) and they will suprise you with their speed the first time you see them go for it.

Originally posted by Daniel Richardson View Post
                  Do it in the bath just to make sure like the others say, make sure u have some long tweezer's and a cricket tub to catch in. Important bit is not to freak when it bolt's..
                  Sound advice
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                    New World ?? perhaps Chris??
                    Oh bum
                    Its my age honest lol.
                    Thank you Colin.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
                      Its my age honest lol.
                      I'm only a couple of years behind you Chris .... seasoned i call it
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

old worlds are great! the lack of itchy hairs is a massive plus!!!!!!!! can't emphasise that enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        but saying that i still like many NW species.

OBTs are awesome. yes, they are a spider to respect...cracking the lid just enough to put a cricket in is wise, as these spiders can spook easily.
                        but really they are not nightmares. they don't have any malice despite the horror stories, they are just, as any other wild animal would be, defensive and as said above...it's the lack of itchy hairs that makes them use more drastic means to defend themselves.
                        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

OBT's were one of my fav's before it became illegal for us to keep them. Some even experimented with communals...

They are absolutely delightful to watch as slings, and quite fun to see them teleport to their prey.

I normally prepared an enclosure that would cater for them whether they decided to be arboreal, terrestrial or fossilic - it is quite interesting to see how 3 slings/juvies rehomed at the same time in the same set up would "customise" it to their taste!

Rehoming them was not much different than rehoming H Maculata or S Calceatum to me ... Lots of preparation (tubs, tweezers, bath and a valium) and a deep sigh of relief afterwards!

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                          X