Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate issue

hi
    im very new to this site and forums so not sure if this will be the right place to post .

ive had my g.rosea for about 3 months now and she refuses to come out her flower pot hide onto i coco husk substrate ,i was wondering if i should change the substrate to a coir ? to see if that makes a difference ?

any suggestions ?

iain
    who ever said anything was possible has obviously never tried slamming a revolving door

You dont mention what substrate she is on at the moment
    But if its even slightly damp she will not be to pleased although you do say you have had 3 months so it should be dry enough by now
    Another thing she may be in a situation where it is just to bright for her so she will stay undercover.
    Here is a web page that may help you out with general care.

Chris.

Comment

Hi Iain, welcome to the forum. Firstly is your T eating, if not has she webbed the entrance up, do you know when it last moulted? G Rosea's can and will go a long time without eating, for various reasons, but as long as your substrate is dry, (eco-earth is a good, easily available substrate), and a clean water dish is available, she may well be coming out without your knowledge

Comment

hi chris
        she is on coco husk substrate ,not the shredded stuff it looks like small bits of wood chippings ,thats the best way i can decribe it ..

shes kept in a room that does not got much sun so not sure thats a issue

thanks for the link
        who ever said anything was possible has obviously never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

hi linda

she stopped eating about a month ago! she had been feeding well up untill then and then all of a sudden she just point blank refused to eat ,the crickets would walk right past her and she wouldnt even bother ..shes not webbed her entrance to her hide .i have no record as to when she last moulted...ive been keeping her water topped up at all times and never mist her tank ...

i actually bought eco-earth today so ill give it another few weeks to see if theres a change before i do a substrate change !

thanks for the reply
          iain

Comment

Originally posted by iain dickie
            hi chris
            she is on coco husk substrate ,not the shredded stuff it looks like small bits of wood chippings ,thats the best way i can decribe it ..

shes kept in a room that does not got much sun so not sure thats a issue

thanks for the link
            Thanks should go to Mr.Schultz for the link

When my Grammostola rosea molted she didnt even lay down a web mat I pulled her container out to change the water and there she was flat on her back!!!

As for eating at the moment she isnt and her last meal was 12/6/10 got to say before she molted she went from December through to Feburary without eating its something you get used to and nothing to worry about just make sure there is fresh water for her if she needs it.

Mrs.Street got it right when she said your spider might be coming out late at night having a wander then getting back home before you check on her there by worrying the hell out of you (its what they do )

I know what substrate you were using it wouldnt hurt her but maybe she will be more at home on the Eco-earth after adding the water (which I love doing lol) try to make it as dry as possible or you will give her something else to moan about

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
              Thanks should go to Mr.Schultz for the link

When my Grammostola rosea molted she didnt even lay down a web mat I pulled her container out to change the water and there she was flat on her back!!!

As for eating at the moment she isnt and her last meal was 12/6/10 got to say before she molted she went from December through to Feburary without eating its something you get used to and nothing to worry about just make sure there is fresh water for her if she needs it.

Mrs.Street got it right when she said your spider might be coming out late at night having a wander then getting back home before you check on her there by worrying the hell out of you (its what they do )

I know what substrate you were using it wouldnt hurt her but maybe she will be more at home on the Eco-earth after adding the water (which I love doing lol) try to make it as dry as possible or you will give her something else to moan about

Chris.
              hey chris
              i bought the new substrate yesterday and went through the process of breaking it down and drying it out .so this morning i cleaned the tank out, put in the new substrate and she seems to be happier already . she had a wonder around and is now sitting on top of her hide ...
              iain

Comment

just a quick update ,since i changed to substrate she has been like a new spider , she is currently shifting and digging in her hide and building her new home .

she still has not ate anything yet i will just leave it a few more days and try again .

iain

Comment

Thats great news

My Grammostola rosea ate on Saturday, after 2 months of not wanting anything to do with food, I am well pleased.

Chris.

Comment

thats good news too....

im glad your G.rosea is eating again! . i suppose they know what there doing so got to get used to there very strange habits .

iain

Comment

just another update ....

legs (g.rosea) has now blocked the entrance to her hide with substrate and webbing... hoping this will be a moult as she has not moulted since i got her

more news to follow in the next few day ...

iain

Comment

still nothing to report substrate still blocking both ends of her hide ... i think she has been out during the night though as the water dish was down quite a bit more than usual......

Comment

4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!

just a picture to show the hide with the blockages

Comment

Well I had to wait from 12 June 2010 to 15 August 2010 for my Acanthoscurria sternalis under ground at least now she has moulted and feeding.

Good luck with whatever she is upto just have patience lol.

Chris.

Comment

thanks chris .... well shes im a very quiet room with hardly any noise , il just check on her/him every few days ,with fresh water .its kinda exciting lol

iain.

Comment

Working...
                              X