Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.avic query

Hi @ all
    Just a quick one to throw out there, I have recently bought an A.avic juvenile, I think the setup is suitable and there are enough climbing surfaces for it to get to grips with, unfortunately it doesnt want to seem to want to do anything..... It is healthy looking and nowhere near pre moult but is really lethargic.... It has eaten since I have had it but I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts about it and if there is anything I can do ???

Any help greatly appreciated

(I have posted this on RFUK, but as yet had no replies, so wondering if anyone here can help??)
    My Collection:

Hi there mate, maybe your avicularia still has to settle in....i wouldnt worry too much if i was you, if it looks healthy, just give it a bit of time, and it will soon start webbing tunnels, My juvee versicolor took about 2 months before starting 2 do something...like webbing.
    As long that you have good ventilation, and not mould, your avicularia will be fine.

Comment

Cheers Paolo, like I say it looks very healthy, nice colours still, and a decnt sized abdomen... I hope it isn't mould as I only setup the enclosure the other morning, looks like it might still be suffering from moving shock...

oh by the way like the dimebag darrell avatar ; )
      My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Grace View Post
        ... unfortunately it doesnt want to seem to want to do anything..... It is healthy looking and nowhere near pre moult but is really lethargic....
        Sorry mate, but your tarantula is neither a frenetic dancer in some torrid flamenco, nor a canary flitting nervously back and forth from perch to perch, nor a psychotic hamster running endlessly on a wheel. Their whole life style and physiology are tuned towards expending as little energy as possible to get by.

Also, if they don't move they don't attract attention. If they don't attract attention, predators likely will ignore them, and food will likely just walk up and get eaten, again with a minimal expenditure on the tarantula's part.

Tarantulas tend to do a lot of meditating. As a result, they seldom get angry, never get ulcers (as far as we can tell), and never have wars. Maybe we should also learn to meditate a lot!

Lastly, a tarantula in the Lotus Position is a wonder to behold!

Enjoy your little 8-legged, meditative buddy.

(BTW, those of us who can't stand watching them just sit there and do nothing often accumulate dozens of tarantulas so that SOMEBODY among the collection is doing SOMETHING every now and again!)
        Last edited by Stanley A. Schultz; 18-08-10, 04:14 AM.
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Thanks very much for the great explanation, it all makes sense now... I read up about the genus and care in your book which has been a great source of knowledge for me. To be honest I wasn't expecting dynamic feats of acrobatical proportions, but just to see it move around its tank would have put my mind at rest. However it seems that all my worrying was in vain, as there are now signs of webbing in the tank, and it has ventured to the other side of the tank.........

Thanks again Stan, and cheers for the info..
          My Collection:

Comment

just an aside to this topic my wife texted me this afternoon to let me know that my A.versi sling, had unfortunately gone to the big web in the sky, poor little fella.... Thing is it had only eaten a couple of days ago, it managed 20 days...
            My Collection:

Comment

Working...
            X