Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New T

Hi @ all,
    yep another T has been allowed into the household, this time I opted for a pokie (P.ornata), I have been looking to get one for a while now, and thought to myself perhaps I'm not a newbie keeper anymore... I had taken some time to read all about them in the Tarantula Keepers Guide and thought I was ready for anything...

So it arrived and i was excited to actually get my hands on one (so to speak) homing it for the 1st time wasn't an issue, but after looking at the initial setup I decided to change it's house again, how wrong was I !!!

To say they are quick would be an understatement, this little fella has Jedi powers.. So after it had done at least 6 laps of the sink, disappeared under a chopping board, made my other half shout and have a go at me, go in the housing then straight back out I decided to corral it in a cricket tub with the aid of my wife... It is now where I wanted it to be, but for the near future could anyone out there throw some tips and hints in this general direction please, looking forward to hopefully hearing some similar stories.

My Collection:

Yes, I have found my pokies to be a bit on the quick side. I have found the easiest way to open their enclosures is by moving the enclosure slightly out of position. The pokies then tend to go back into their retreat and I can open the lid to feed or water them. If any major work is needed then I find placing a plastic glass over the top of them a safer bet. I always open any adult tarantula enclosure these days carefully whilst holding either a long 12" pair of tongs or my 10" camel hair paintbrush in my free hand. I have found both these items to be invaluable and would recommend them to any keeper.
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Lol P Ornata are little devel's-i've found them quicker then any other pokie sling, i lost mine then found it walking on the inside of my adult p striata tank-dont know how it got in there lol-was a little bugger to catch in there too.
      When i open any tank for feeding or maintanance i always have a catch tub and tweezer's-a straw's a good tip too-or blowing on them if they come out-they hate it and will retreat back to there hide.
      If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
      the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

Cheers so far for the advice, Daniel & R Thomas (sorry dont know your 1st name), i have the extra long tongs, also have some bendy straws, but when the force is strong in your pokie, and you dont know which way it wants to go then blowing at it was the last thing i would have thought of lol...

Again thanks for all the tips, after all knowledge is power !!!
        My Collection:

Comment

what a fab read dave made me chuckle.

Comment

Hi Dave, first name is Richard. After Daniel's suggestion about using a straw I now have this image of me in a panic sucking on the straw instead of blowing by mistake. The picture of this poor tarantula vacuumed to the end of the straw whilst I do maintainance has set me up for the day. I am probably still half asleep mind you as the postman got me up early to sign for a parcel that contained my new collection additions. I am busy rehousing 3 Chilobrachys sp "Aladdin" slings from their shipping containers. I learnt a long time ago to always open containers where possible inside at least one other bigger container or even two so when the occupant makes a run for it you have a chance to detain him before he escapes across the desk. I think it was my A. versicolor sling that thought he was on a wheel of death and ran around and around and out of the first container before I had a chance to put the lid back on. It may be odd but I tend to find my Avicularia family tarantulas to be on the whole faster moving than my pokies.

Richard
            There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Hi Richard, congrats to you on rehoming 3 Aladdins, I myself just recently aquired one and all is well.. Cheers Vincent, it was quite funny after the event but during wasn't so funny (well the wife didn't think so anyway : ) )

Have to say though that when you read up about the 2 species then I would rather have a quick Avic (venom not so potent) than a Force using teleporting Jedi Pokie........
              My Collection:

Comment

Working...
              X