Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genral rambeling

hi,
    just bin sat thinkin, wich is never good, but got on to thinkin bout siders and snakes and realized summet.
    when i went to a pet shop in leeds an bought a t it was a nice easy fast buy, i told the guy what i wanted he tubed it up i went and paid then began the jurney home.... easy.
    i went to the same shop and got a florida kingsnake.... wow! The guy was going on about enclosures and substrates and what to feed and when to feed and humidity etc... tubbed it u went to pay, had to sign summet saying i had been told how to look after it and the sho had give me all the info they had to give, i got a care sheet and a certificate of ownership, which io had to sign, they even told me to consider insurance for the snake. now, dont get me wrong i have no problems with all that, it showed the shop cared about the wellfare of the anomal after it left the premices but i was just wandering why i dont have to go threw this when buying a t???
    shurly tarantulas deserve the same, do people not care if a tarantula is miss treated??
    i think im just rambeling, but.... ill shut up now.
    p.s just looked back over what i said, sory for the spelling, thats shocking!!

Just to let you know, the shop I use in Darlington called Coast to Coast has you filling in all the relevant papers as you mentioned for T's too, including a care sheet and listing your own details. So I suppose its different in each shop, I think though it would be hard to monitor as there are loads of online shops where no paperwork is necessary...
    My Collection:

Comment

I have only once been asked to leave my name and address when purchasing a tarantula. It is my experience that a lot of pet shops are really happy to see tarantulas leave the premises as soon as possible and to be honest seeing the conditions some are kept in I am glad to be taking them to a place of safety! I have always been a sucker for a sad looking specimen.

My local petshop owner is normally equally loved and hated by her patrons as she tells them what she thinks and doesnt really care who she upsets. However if you walk around the store it becomes obvious that they keep no books on tarantulas for sale - but loads on the most obscure reptiles and she doesnt give you as much info as she would if you were buying any other livestock from her. I do not know why there is this difference in attitude between reptiles and tarantulas which really need similar careful care.
      There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Grace View Post
        Just to let you know, the shop I use in Darlington called Coast to Coast has you filling in all the relevant papers as you mentioned for T's too, including a care sheet and listing your own details. So I suppose its different in each shop, I think though it would be hard to monitor as there are loads of online shops where no paperwork is necessary...
        yeah must just be differant in each place, i been to a few in leeds and around hudersfield and not really had to do it. never thought of the internet, yeah i soppose any one could buy from them with out the seller knowing anything about whos buying....

Comment

Only 2 shops stock Ts near me and their approaches couldnt be more different. The Animal Zone in Lancaster wwas excellent, if a t was hidden the owner will try to encourage it out so i could see it. I was buying an OBT and the owner knew from what i was saying that i was capable as i have several already ( I LOVE P.MURINUS) but even with my experience he still said all that had to be said and offered a care sheet which i didnt need but took anyway, never know what i might discover. The owner also told me someone had tried to buy that T a week before and he had refused the sale. In my opinion this guy is doing all the right things. The other shop which i wont name freely admit they dont have a clue with Ts because they do reptiles and Ts are there because they feel they should have them. I also witnessed the owner sell a MM H. lividum to a clueless mum and her ten year old son telling them its completely harmless and can be kept in a small tub and doesnt have any heating requirements. I waited till they got outside then clued them in, they were pissed to say the least. I gave them a lift to my house and swapped the lividum for a female chile rose with full setup (good sized tank, heat mat substate and a bunch of other stuff). Hopefully by doing this a young lad can get into the hobby safely without getting his hand munched or hurting a T through no fault of his own. Amazed that the owner would risk the kid getting tagged just to fill his pockets.

Comment

Working...
          X