grammostola rosea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grammostola rosea

hi guys .. just a quick update on my rosea who had blocked her self away from the world!

shes now out in the open with a mega bad attitude lol ! i was doing some clean up work in her tank and she had a go at me .. just a few lunges nothing crazy just a bit out of charactor

iain
    who ever said anything was possible has obviously never tried slamming a revolving door

The last time my G. rosea showed any signs of an attitude (and that was just a threat posture) was just before the last moult. Not seen any attitude since the moult. I wonder if yours is the opposite and has come out of a moult in a bad mood?

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Hi Richard
      I don't think there has been a moult ! And she dosnt look in pre moult :-p
      I'm thinking she was maybe just having a bad day lol ....

I'm going out today to pick up some new food ( red runner roaches ) maybe that will cheer her up

Iain
      who ever said anything was possible has obviously never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Hi Iain,
        Well I collected up all my Turkistan roach egg cases from my roach enclosure yesterday and put them in a seperate container to see if any actually hatch out. I have loads of egg cases but as yet no signs of any hatching and at least this way I hope to see a few hatch out. They seem to lay loads of egg cases but as I am not sure of the gestation period I have no idea whether these egg cases are duff or not. I suppose it will be like buses, never see one for ages then they all arrive at once lol

I must admit that the adult roaches are definately more appealing to look at (a nice shiny red or pale white colour) and handle than crickets. I have also noticed that my bean weevil colony has finally started to show signs of a boom in adults and I have split this from 2 containers into 3 containers with the aim to get to 4 containers on the go. I will then use the adults from a container for a week and then rest it 3 weeks.

It is all go in my household it seems, what with me moving all my arboreal slings into one large humidity and temperature controlled enclosure inside their individual containers and with other rehousing projects on the go.

Best Regards

Richard
        There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

Comment

hi
          sounds like your going to have a fun few days !!

ive never bought the red runners before ,how long do they live if kept in good conditions ?

any crickets i get only last 3-4 weeks if lucky

ps it looks like my spiderling l.p is in pre moult

iain

Comment

Iain,

Not sure about the red runners but as adults most roaches live for months after reaching adulthood so if kept in good conditions I expect they will be long eaten before they die of old age.

I read your 3-4 weeks life for crickets as 3-4 days on my first glance at your post. If my adult crickets lived for 3-4 weeks I would be ecstatic. I therefore assume that your crickets are the small size for spiderlings?

A number of my spiderlings have moulted recently and appear a lot larger now.

Richard

Comment

Hi
              The shop never had any food but crickets today I buy size 4 crickets for my sub adult g.rosea and they last a good 3 4 weeks . Just feed and water them well lol ..

Still wanting to try the red runners but it looks like my rosea is still fasting , she's rearing up and snapping at the cricket but not eating , it's very strange !

How did your spiderling move go?

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by iain dickie View Post
                How did your spiderling move go?
                Hi Iain,

So far so good, have mounted a 30w 120cm long heat strip up the wall and placed a 45cm x 45cm x 60cm vivarium against it and then a shelf unit above to utilise the remaining 75 cms of heat strip all wired to a thermostatic controller. Placed about 3" of coir in the bottom and all the spiderlings in their pots and containers on top of the coir. Am awaiting a 50w aquarium heater that I am going to mount inside a jar or similar water-filled container to act as a radiator and humidifier. Have placed my adult OBT and Rosea containers on the shelves above against the heatstrip also as well as using a 4w heat mat on top of the vivarium to keep my roaches warm in their container. I think it will take a little while for the humidity to balance out inside all the containers but the main vivarium is sat at around 85% at the moment. I also seem to have significantly more adult bean weevils today so plenty to feed the spiderlings today. Two of my curly haired have moulted overnight and are looking slightly redder today so all in all not a bad day for me.

Richard

Comment

sound like a great idea using the aquatic heater to create a radiator ,im liking that ! you should stick some pics up

my g.rosea has again blocked herself away again !! still not ate in nearly 4 months now ,tried crickets red runners and wax worms and shes not wanting to eat , still looks very healthy with nice plump abdomin.

my l.parahybana spiderling hasnt moulted yet and is still refusing food !! looks like she is getting darker though...pffffft

and who said keeping Ts was easy

Comment

sound like a great idea using the aquatic heater to create a radiator ,im liking that ! you should stick some pics up

my g.rosea has again blocked herself away again !! still not ate in nearly 4 months now ,tried crickets red runners and wax worms and shes not wanting to eat , still looks very healthy with nice plump abdomin.

my l.parahybana spiderling hasnt moulted yet and is still refusing food !! looks like she is getting darker though...pffffft

and who said keeping Ts was easy

Hi Iain,

I really wouldn't read too much into your Rosy not eating, they can go an awfully long time without food, I had one when I first started the hobby that didn't eat for 11 months... it's pretty normal behaviour for these spiders!

Paul

Comment

hi

yeah i know ive learned to let her do her own thing ! when she was out im sure she drank a good part of her water bowl ! as it went down alot quicker than usual evaporation.

iain

Comment

hi

yeah i know ive learned to let her do her own thing ! when she was out im sure she drank a good part of her water bowl ! as it went down alot quicker than usual evaporation.

iain

Nice one, ... water is much more important than food.

Paul

Comment

hi paul

yeah ive been keeping a close eye on water ,shes still very healthy so not too worried ! just a waste of money buying food lol

iain

Comment

Hi Iain

Would appear that my rosey is doing the same as yours, blocked itself away and not eating.

Was reassuring to know mine aint the only one doing it as its my 1st T.

I've noticed its webbed over the entrance too

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Bishop View Post
                              Hi Iain

Would appear that my rosey is doing the same as yours, blocked itself away and not eating.

Was reassuring to know mine aint the only one doing it as its my 1st T.

I've noticed its webbed over the entrance too
                              hi justin
                              she was my first T i only got her april/may and i was stressing about what was going on ! as she ate well for two months then stopped dead and shut her self away from the world!

its now october and ive seen her for 4 days as she came out for a few days last week but has now webbed up her entrance to her hide and is still refusing food
                              not much we can do aprt from let them do what they got to do !

iain

Comment

Working...
                              X