Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting

Hi @ all,
    Was just wondering if there are any specific time scales for moults. Reason I ask is that my boehmei has moulted twice within 5 months, so naturally I'm wondering is this the norm ?

Any info or feedback as always is appreciated
    Last edited by Dave Grace; 29-09-10, 06:35 AM. Reason: mistake in text
    My Collection:

There are not norms. Time between molts depends on some factors such as feeding regime and temperature. So, you can actually "control" in some degree the growing rate of a tarantula, with consecuences in its life span.
    How much do we really know about tarantulas?
    P.S. Sorry for my deficient english...

Comment

As well as feeding, temperature and humidity there is the natural wear and tear to the exuvium that the spider takes into consideration.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks to Colin and Alonso for the info,
        I understand that the temp etc can have an effect on how quickly the spider matures, but mine are kept at a comfortable room temp with a slight drop in temp at night time, and are fed once a week, hence wondering why the quick moult
        My Collection:

Comment

Hi Dave,

If you say it has moulted twice in 5 months then I am assuming the two moults were 5 months apart. If the tarantula is a female then during a lifetime it may moult in excess of 20 times. By my reckoning this means a total lifespan of at least 100 months or 8 years at a 5 month moult cycle. Adult tarantulas if I remember correctly tend to moult 1 to 2 times a year anyway so I think you have nothing to worry about and you may just find that this is their natural moulting cycle.

Richard
          There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Working...
          X