Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing advice for my new OBT!

Hi everyone,
    I've just purchased a 2 inch beauty OBT, and i was thinking to transfer my newbie, in a new and slightly bigger tank, well i have spare a new exoterra portable Faunarium,
    9" x 6" x 6 1/2" is that appropriate for this size T, and how deep should i set the substrate?

Im gonna do my transfer in the bath with gloves i think...hahahah im a bit nervous coz its my first Orange Bitey thing and i've heard loads of stories ....

I keep my OBT in a 12" x 8" x 8" glass enclosure with 3" inches of coir and a half piece of cork bark and a water container. The bad news is I rarely ever see it now it has webbed its corner and layered it with coir (a habit it shares with my pokies). I put in a few crickets each week and they disappear but other than that and the odd glimpse of orange it stays out of the way.

I had one of those awful moments yesterday when a 2" panama blonde decided to eject itself out of it's container onto my chest then as i tried to grab my capture container it dropped a foot to the carpet and ran under the sideboard. Just when I thought I was going to have to spend all night watching the sideboard it appeared again out the front of the sideboard but a foot or so further along from where it had initially gone and then it was capture pot over the top and back into the container.

So the bath might be a very sensible precaution.

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

From my experience the "murinus lot" are that innovative they'd make a decent living environment out of some torn up kitchen tissue and a couple of toilet rolls

Seriously though, i think the ideal environment for them is a arboreal tank, filled 1/3 with substrate (3-4 inches is fine as Richard says) and then topped with bark, twigs and plastic plants (as you would an Avicularia).
      They seem to be able to aclimatise themselves perfectly with living as fossorial, terrestrial and arboreal so i like to give them the option
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

hi guys ! thankx for the reply, i have actually transfered my OBT sucsessfuly, i went in the bath and done that! ...lol....well i had an advice from Pete, to open the flimsy container in the new home, and leave it open, and wait for Lucifer to adventually crawl out on his, own! it worked, but overnight started 2 webb the old conteiner within the new tank,....so now i have 2 get the old container out ...hahaha....deep joy....here a pic of my situation ...lol:

Comment

My own OBT female lives in an exo terra 30x30 with a heat mat selotaped to one side as per all my other Ts...i have 3 baboons and raely see any of them...pet holes is an apt discription lol..clyde my OBT hasnt appeared in months..i only know she not dead by the crickets dissapearing over night...Baboons are spiders you can only ever say you own because you will never actually see them lol
          all those moments will be lost in time.....like tears........in rain

Comment

Originally posted by scott wilson View Post
            Baboons are spiders you can only ever say you own because you will never actually see them lol
            My kids still think I own an enclosure with just coir and a waterbowl in - I have not seen my King Baboon since putting him inside the enclosure but like Scott says the crickets disappear over night and sometimes the coir has a new lump or two to show that something must be happening

Richard
            There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

My Lucifer after 20 days in the new enclosure, has made some DIY changes to suit his/her needs,and now it looks pretty damm Cool i guess, Peter was right, suggesting some branches,look how many curtains his made in there...lol

by the way ....Scott could you show me a pic of the selotaped heat matt, i might use that method 2, in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by R Thomas View Post
                My kids still think I own an enclosure with just coir and a waterbowl in - I have not seen my King Baboon since putting him inside the enclosure but like Scott says the crickets disappear over night and sometimes the coir has a new lump or two to show that something must be happening

Richard
                Lol! yep totally agree. I bought a Fort Hall Baboon and I`ve almost forgotten what he looks like.

Comment

My large female King Baboon likes to make sure I know the enclosure is hers.. has a load of tunnels, but always comes out to say 'Hi'

Comment

Working...
                  X