G. Rosea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Rosea

I have noticed my T has been renovating his tank and has enclosed himself inside his burrow and hasn't eaten for about a fortnight now.

Is this normal or is it due to the drop in temperature? I need to modify my tank so I can turn my heat mat on as there is a polystyrene landscape effect which is insulating the heat and preventing it from reaching my T.

However to do this will disturb him and cause a possible collapse to his burrow, as I can't see him then I am wary as to his condition.

Can anyone offer any advise please.

Thanks in advance

Hello Justin,

Maybe your T will molt soon...do not disturb him/she and all will walk right

Comment

Sounds like a typical Grammostola rosea to me

2 weeks without food is nothing to worry about mine went 2 months and even that is not un-heard of.

As for digging and blocking up the entrance could be the onset of a moult could be its warmer down there or its just messing with your mind (they do that,a lot lol).

If you are going to re-do the enclosure do it now rather than waiting as you cant see the spider so have no idea what its up to better to disturb it now rather than dig it up to find its on its back ready to moult.

As for digging up the spider I use a table spoon and just slowly work my way following the burrow your spider will move down as far as it can so you shouldnt do any damage to it and once uncovered there response is to hunch up legs over the eyes then just be gentle and offer up whatever you are going to hold it in and take your time its surprising how their feet are stuck to the substrate no matter how much you push and shove. The key is to get a couple of feet in the catch container and once they can feel something solid the rest of the spider should (I say should) follow.

Hope thats of some use if not take a look through this by Mr. Schultz

Chris.

Comment

I dont think its due a moult, last moulted back in mid June and is showing no signs of hair loss and darkening to the rump as previous.

I need to dry out another batch of peat prior to removing the backing as i will gain an extra 12x4x2 inches of tank space and want to keep the depth as he likes to burrow.
        Think turning the tank 90˚ so that the side is against the heat mat as oppose to the back might be the best course of short term action

Cheers guys

Justin

Comment

A three year fast is the "record" for Rosemary White, who's been doing this for decades. They're odd animals, feeding like mad for months, then fasting for months, sometimes on a pattern, sometimes not. This is the time they're molting in South America though, maybe the hormonal works are a bit messed up so it's just fasting even though it molted recently? Unless it's a captive born animal, then who knows?

I can only suggest relaxing and waiting. With this species the only time you need to worry is when you see shrinkage in the abdomen which causes wrinkles. That's when things are worrisome, other than that, enjoy your odd animal.
          They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

Had some fun with my G.rosea last night I wanted to remove her round waterdish for one of those posh square sided ones

But before I put the new dish in I put some fresh damp peat to fill the hole as soon as she felt the vibration of the falling peat over she came at quite a pace and stated patting away at the peat and I sat there for a while and enjoyed the show.

She just stayed on the little patch of damp subby and I had to move her off with a large spoon did this faze her.....not in the slightest it was something else to play with and she seemed to be dancing with it no threats or tantrums just a wonderful 5-10 mins with a lovely spider

Chris.

PS I did try the same with my adult Brachypelma vagans who just gave the spoon a damn good thump so much so she made it ring

Comment

lol my g/rosea has just molted to become a adult wow she is stunning now and loves sitting on my laptop soaking up the heat

Comment

Working...
              X