help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

Hi guys, I need some help please, my mexican redleg has developed bald spots on her front legs, they look quite red and sore. I cant seem to find any thing online about it, all the stuff I can find about bald spots reffers to their abdomens.

Does any one know what causes this? As I am slightly concerned about it.

Thanks in advance

Hi Gareth,

This is not the first time that I have heard of bald spots on the legs of Mexican Redlegs. Last time though it was on the rear of the legs with a thin red sore line. I am however unable to offer any advice as to what the cause is or whether it is anything to worry about. Hopefully someone with better knowledge can offer you advice.

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

One of those cases when a picture would be great to solving the problem.

Could it be wear and tear maybe going in and out of a hide although the 2 I have rather sit in full view then decide to give me any spare hair they have when I open up their enclosures

I think their joints are naturaly red/dark brown in colour and with the fluid/blood (cant remember the proper word lol) you would notice it as like a sore its just you dont often get to see it because of the hairs.

It is probably nothing to worry about as they are built like tanks its usually the abdomen that causes problems it being soft and with the book lungs underneath.

Chris.

Comment

thanks guys, well., the fact that no one has jumped in saying its a major health hazard has kinda put my mind at ease some what

i will do my best to get a photo of her legs but like yours chris, she does like sharing her hairs with me whenever you open her tank lol

Comment

right, iv got some cracking (hair free) pics... how do i upload them on here? im new to this forum lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth Brink View Post
            right, iv got some cracking (hair free) pics... how do i upload them on here? im new to this forum lol
            When you post a reply, at the top of the reply box are a number of icons the one immediately to the right of the planet is the Insert Image tool.

Just click on that and follow the instructions to upload the image (or a link to an image if hosted elsewhere)

Richard
            There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

Comment

You best bet for uploading pix is to create a Photobucket, Flickr or ImageShack account. Upload your pix in batches to your account, name them and copy the links provided straight into the forum. Many of these image hosting sites offer much more so its worthwhile setting one up as most forums have a limit on how much they'll host.
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Comment

Comment

she does dig loads and loads and is constantly rearranging her substrate and plants, could that be the cause?

Comment

That looks like all the fur has rubbed off the exoskeleton on the tibia and metatarsus. Though that is quite severe and not in the normal places I'm used to seeing on the legs...when it comes to the legs I've seen it more commonly on the "knees". It is likely the digging which is the cause, but what kind of substrate are you using?

Comment

D'oh I got your common names mixed up sorry

I thought she was a Brachypelma boehmei (which I have 2) a "Fire Leg" and can now see you have a lovely Brachypelma emilia a "Red Leg" (the curse of old age and common names )

As I said earlier just looks like wear & tear all will be great after her next moult

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
                          Just looks like wear & tear all will be great after her next moult
                          Looking at the picture I have to say I feel Chris is spot on with the wear and tear answer.

So absolutely nothing to worry about unless that is you find it missing and a hole through the container - wonder if it had a relation ever Escape from Colditz? lol

Richard

Comment

Thanks guys, you have really put my mind at ease, she usually sheds around Xmas so won't be ling till she has her shiny new coat =]

Comment

Tis a sad day in our house hold today, last night noticed that Ameliyah (our B. Emelia) was curled up in the corner (legs under her body) gave her a prod and she moved and wriggled her legs. my imediate thought was 'i hope i havent disturbed her just before she sheds' but this morning she is absolutely lifeless. We'v had her nearly 5 years now, and she was apparently 1 year old when we got her, so a little upset as to why this has happened. From what Iv heard its also almost impossible to get brachypelma emilia now, so will have to see what we can do about getting a replacement (not any time soon tho, need some time to grieve)

Comment

Working...
                              X