Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosures

Hi guys
    i wonder if you could give me your views on this. On video`s on the internet, I have noticed that some Arboreal species (mainly the Vicularia`s) are kept in these large "sweet"jars. I`ve aquired a few of these jars which measure about 11" tall and about 5/6" diametre. Thing is, i`m looking at them and thinking surely they are way too small or is it just the claustraphobia in me.

Thanks.
    Caz

Hi Caz,

Imagine the container was laid on its side then it would be 11" long by 6" wide (assuming it was flat not round). The rule of thumb often used is that the enclosure should be width 1.5x the legspan and the length 2.5x the legspan. Given those figure your jars should be suitable for an arboreal species that has a legspan of approx 4" or less. Morrisons supermarket sells for £1.99 each a 10l container with a handle and a hinged lid which I use for my larger arboreals.

Hope this helps,

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Thats a good way of looking at it Richard. Doesn`t seem so small, if you look at it that way. As for the containers at Morrison, I`m going shopping, lol!

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X