tips and advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips and advise needed

hi everyone i need some help. this friday coming i,ll be picking up a salmon pink bird eater i just need some tips and advise on these t's as from what i've read on the net there seems to mixed feelings about these spiders some say there really aggressive and others say they could be handled. im sure theres plenty of you out there who own these t's i just want to know the basics like can you maintain the enclosure and change the water without having a game of go on i dare you lol. i cant wait thanks evryone.

Hi Vincent,

You do not say whether this is a sling/juvenille/sub-adult or adult specimen that you are getting. Absolutely any two Ts of the same species can have different temprements. I have had no issues so far with any T when feeding or watering them. The only time I have had a serious threat display and stridulation sounds was when rehousing my King Baboon. The simple rule I have is assume any T will be a hassle to deal with until proven otherwise. My Salmon Pink sling has not been a fast grower - I keep expecting to come to feed it to find it filling its container after a growth spurt.

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

The main thing i've noticed whit keeping these over the years is that the majority of them seem to change their charactor/mood/temperment from moult to moult.
      many, many times i've noticed a spider change from an outgoing, wandering, dodgy tempered animal to a shy, docile spider that hides away constantly, then the next moult it's out wandering again but in a better "mood".

They have to be one of the easiest spiders to look after, they'll overcome some little errors on the part of the keeper and, as they're a large and robust spider, make a very nice centre piece in a display tank.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

that sounds about right colin i have a smithi adult female she's pretty laid back most of the time but about 2 weeks ago she reared up while i was doing a water change in her tank so i just suppose it's a case of expect the unexpected. only thing is i'll have to be double carefull as i have heard these t's are quick of the mark and a lot bigger than a smithi. thanks for your help colin cheers mate.

Comment

hi there colin. from what i could see from the photo that was sent of this t i would say it's sub adult possible adult it was hard to tell also looks like a female but as i say it was hard to tell i'll let you know as soon as i can. i found the advert on pre loved. i did ask weather it's male or female but the seller said he didn't know how to sex a tarantula that's why i asked if he could send a photo looks good to me. they do sound pretty straight forward but the obviouse will be practiced when doing water changes etc etc. well i'll be picking it up tomorrow night so as i say i'll let you know how it all goes. thanks for your help colin cheers mate.

Comment

sorry richard the reply concerning the photo was meant for you. what a muppet i am sorry mate it's bean a long day lol. many thanks again richard

Comment

Regardless of the species, I think most people will agree, every spider has its own temperament, character and behaviour. I have known aggressive rose hairs, and my self had a really placid H.liv.
              “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by vincent winyard View Post
                hi everyone i need some help. this friday coming i,ll be picking up a salmon pink bird eater i just need some tips and advise on these t's ....
                First, understand that these are one of the world's largest spiders. That puts them in a category way beyond Chilean roses and Mexican redknees! Bigger cages, more food, etc, etc, etc.

I strongly urge you to perform searches on all the Internet arachnid forums you know about (including this one!) using these search strings:

parahybana

salmon

LP

Put on another pot of coffee, or stock up on your other favorite beverage. Clear your schedule. You have a lot of reading to do!

Enjoy your 8-legged tarantzilla!
                The Tarantula Whisperer!
                Stan Schultz
                Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
                Private messaging is turned OFF!
                Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

That said, they are great spiders to own, and observe.

Comment

Originally posted by Neill House View Post
                    That said, they are great spiders to own, and observe.
                    I saw an adult L. parahybana on Saturday and it was stunning. It was out in the open in its enclosure and seemed quite happy to be starred at by me. I am waiting for my sling to grow up to be such a stunner.
                    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

many thanks to everyone for all your help on these t's very much appreciated thankyou.

Comment

Working...
                      X