House spider in my T tank!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House spider in my T tank!!

I threw a hopper in for my haplopelma lividum this morning, and it got caught in a web 2 inches off the ground, I imediately thought that as weird for a T to web like that. Next thing a little spider comes running out from under a rock to see what it caught, realised it was too big the ran back under the rock!

Now as far as I know this ain't good for my baby, but am I right? I was gonna try catch her and clean her tank, does any one have and tips on catching a scatty and really anti sociable sub adult (who has already nearly had my fingers before)?

I would'nt worry to much about a house spider being in with your lividum, I think the house spider is the one that should be scared

Comment

well that went better than expected.... no near misses with the fingers lol although it was a good job i decieded to give HIS tank a clean out... got my livi out in the bath to take some pics and noticed spurs on the front two legs. Hes only recently shed, found the moult in the corner where he'd webbed up, and it was still soft. Dont know if its normal but he wasnt very blue, more brown, but with really gangly legs lol will put some pics up

Comment

Perfect for breeding.
        I'd post details on the various forums to see if you can either sell him or put him out to suitable breeders.
        you'll need to get yourself aquainted with packing procedures, unless you're lucky enough to get a collect

I'm not familiar with MM H. lividum but the dulling of colours, slender bodies, lack of appetite and increased activity are characteristics of MM.
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Yes, male H. lividum turn brown on their maturing moult.
          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Just a note of caution. I have lost a number of tarantulas in the past which have been bitten by house spiders. Please do not think that because the tarantula is bigger it is safe. If you have house spiders in your tarantula enclosures I would strongly urge you to get the little things out of there NOW!
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

thanks nicola, i did clean it out nuked every thing and put new substrate in

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X