Curly Hair burrow behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curly Hair burrow behavior

I am a firm believer in a substantial substrate, as many terrestrial theraposids like to burrow. However, my Curly Hair has exceeded expectations - I never see it! The burrow opening is a web disguised as the surrounding substrate, and it is like a trap. Any live food walking over it gets stuck, and the web sags, ending the life of the food! Has anyone seen this behaviour before, especially in habitat? Is it more common than it appears?

I have a few B. albopilosum of various stages of development and they either stay on the surface or dig the most intricate tunnel system with multiple entrances. I have however never seen any of mine build a cover over their entrances. However my H. gigas has created a trap door over its burrow entrance.

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

If you throw in a bunch of leafes, most species will use it. They will web it and put it around their entrances and it will also look very good.

Comment

My Curly Hair spiderling dug out a huge burrow and webbed the tunnel leading down to it - he would lurk in the tunnel with a few legs protruding waiting to grab food as it walked past. He stayed hidden a lot though, I didn't see much of him.

Comment

I always say give a spider a natural environment and it will behave naturally.
          Whether "naturally" to the spider means burrowing or living in a scrape or sitting on a rock then thats up to the spider ...we did our bit
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
          X