Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papers needed.

Hi everyone!

I'm doing research for a class at University and I decided to do it on locomotion and eyesight of Theraphosids vs. Salticidae. So...any papers on the matter would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Pato.

Hi Pato,

I guess, that Rainer Foelix "Biologie of Spiders" would help you a lot. You can find some notes to the eyesight of both families and also there are some literature quotes you might can use.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards Basti

Comment

Hi Basti,

Thanks for your reply!! I already own that book (BTW it's great book) that I will use indeed, but I was looking in more specific bibliography (if there is in fact any).

Anyone else can help??

Cheers,
      Pato

Comment

They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

I'm aware of that site, but can you be more specific...?

Comment

Ah, I am sorry, I saw "bibliography" and thought of the index. I do not think you're going to find any paper which discusses the two, only singular papers or small chapters/paragraphs in text books on the topic, at least for the Theraphosids. The visual accuity of Salticidae is well documented in many species though. It's commonly stated that tarantulas "have poor vision", and that may stem from only anecdotal observations. Have you tried reviewing Dr. Baerg's works? I don't know if he in fact did any vision measurements or observations, but with the older dates of body of work, some of it may not be well cataloged.

I think you're going to find that you have maybe one or two references regarding tarantulas and a thousand regarding jumpers. It maybe very tough to write a comparison paper.

Since we're international here, I don't know if you have access to Jstor?

Christian
            They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

Cheers for your help mate, I appreciate it. I've decided to make a small presentation (apparently there's no need to make an entire paper, plus I don't have time really) about Theraphosid's locomotion. So it would be schematic with pictures, explanation about habits, general behavior, ecology, external anatomy + internal legs skeletal muscles, explanation about locomotion mechanics, scopulae importance, and some evolutionary aspects (for example arboreal vs. terrestrial), etc. Hopefully to impress an spider-ignorant professor, it won't take much detail.

Best wishes,
              Pato

Comment

Originally posted by Patricio Cavallo View Post
                Hopefully to impress an spider-ignorant professor, it won't take much detail.
                Ha ha, as long as you put a little more detail in than "this is a spider and it moves like this ...look!!" Pato, you should be ok
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Haha, thanks Colin I'll let you know how it goes...I'll make the ppt presentation this friday! ;D

Comment

Hmmn, perhaps I am a little late but another book worth a look might be Barth's work on the sense of arachnids.

Comment

Thanks Grant, Martin Huber also recommended me that book...that I'll def. get! The presentation went perfect... the ppt. I made is simple 'cause I explained everything speaking (I don't like making long text powerpoints...) ... but anyone that wants it, just mail me and I'll send it. My mail is: patogrammostola@yahoo.com.ar

Cheers,
                      Pato

Comment

Working...
                      X