Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breeding, comments / tips / observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding, comments / tips / observations.

Hi all,

Amongst others, I am currently breeding cyclosternum fasciata. I have had several attempts now and the first attempt seemed almost text book but very quick and the male made a hasty retreat in one piece. Ten or twelve attempts later she's still keen and he's still sperm webbing and drumming etc. However, the problem is, every time the drumming legs come together, she doesn't seem to lift for him to get under and after a few seconds he kaks himself and bolts. She's left drumming and looking for him and he feels it, starts drumming back, heads over then it starts again. At first she did seem to slightly lunge at him which made him bolt but now she seems really gentle to him and submisive but its almost as soon as the legs touch he panics and scarpers.
    Any tips welcome cause they both seem keen and I'd really like to get more of these into the hobby.
    I did read something about pantaolore being sold as fasciata but it turns out both these came from the spider shop and I have no reason to doubt they are what they were bought as.
    Speaking of TSS my latest purchase was a MM lividum and for the first time tonight I had a go with them and saw some surprising stuff. Firstly, the male wasn't any thing like as defensive as I thought he'd be (I do find that a lot with other species too). And it was nice to see more than the tip of a leg of my girl, she's immense and stunning!! They were very gentle with each other, even when due to his refusal to get down from the side his hook seemed to be stuck on her fang for about two or three minutes but no one paniced and eventually they seperated and came together again. From the angle I had, I couldn't see if there was an insertion but she did the arch back jerk thing, he legged it and she immediately set about cleaning her underside furiously before going back down her hole.
    Fingers crossed on that one. Finally, a tip for future breeders, start with G. pulchra. They are the most gentle T's I've ever seen. It's amazing to watch, the females are so good to the males (I've two of each) and there's hardly any worry about her eating him as every time, she's still in posture when he's had enough, cleaned his palps and gone back to his own tank. Fingers crossed again as one of the females appears to be starting to build a nest and has a very gravid looking abdomen.

I'm not massively experienced on breeding, and even if I was, I'm happy to take all advice and experiences. Specially on the fasciata situation.

Thanks.

If shes very chilled out about it id leave in there for as long as you can care to observe although this is not a species ive kept but i paired Aphonopelma sp new river up once and it took 3 hours later before he stuck his chest out and became a 'man' lol .
    Good luck with it all im contemplated on getting some of these

Comment

I have just started my attempts at breeding My H.lividum too. Like you said in your post, It was a lot more gentle than I thought it was going to be. Anyway, I was wondering how many times should I attempt mating? The first time I never saw insertion, but the second time he definitely inserted. How long will she be gravid for before she will lay her eggs?
      “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Working...
      X