Lazy Chilobrachys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Chilobrachys

I keep a 1cm Chilobrachys fimbriatus spiderling in a 10cm high, 7cm wide glass jar which is 3/4 full with substrate and has vent holes in the lid. I've had it for about 3 weeks and I've only seen it once. It spends all of its time in a burrow which I made for it by poking a pen into the substrate. I know this is normal for this species, but I am dissapointed because from what I've heard they can make intricate networks of tunnels and are supposed to be heavy webbers. So far the spiderling has neither expanded on the burrow which I started, nor made much webbing other than a bit of very thin webbing just around the burrow entrance. Poor effort! Any suggestions? Cheers

Hi Bjorn,

I tend to find that as the slings getter a bit bigger they tend to web a bit more. I must say that my fimbo webs a lot less than my C. andersoni or C. sp. 'Aladdin' slings do.

I would just let it get on with it and I think as it gets more confident in its surroundings it will start to web and then you will never see it again lol

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Just leave it to it, thats the only advice available really.
      Three weeks isn't that long really, have had spiders take longer (and shorter obviously) to get settled.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

yeah, be a bit more patient and it will reward you with lots of silk!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I would say it's just getting used to it's surroundings. When I put my king baboon into its new enclosure, it took a moult and about a month to finally start digging, now i only glimpse orange legs :P

Comment

Is it eating well ?
            Last edited by Luke Anthony; 23-11-10, 02:59 AM.
            Luke Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Anthony View Post
              Is it eating well ?
              I have not yet seen either of my slings eat and its been about 6 weeks. I think the frimbriatus may have eaten a couple of crickets that werent there the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn Hultmark View Post
                I have not yet seen either of my slings eat and its been about 6 weeks.
                If you are not certain whether your slings are eating then it may be worthwhile placing a piece of cut up cricket in the container instead and save the slings the trouble of trying to capture their food.
                There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Working...
                X