Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help with Tarantula name's

Hi all

Is there anybody that can help me with Tarantula name's,Im looking for a list that is in order and up to date with sp name's because so many names have been changed that it is starting to confuse me.

Thanks all.
    Luke Anthony

Originally posted by Luke Anthony View Post
    Hi all

Is there anybody that can help me with Tarantula name's,Im looking for a list that is in order and up to date with sp name's because so many names have been changed that it is starting to confuse me. ...
    Welcome to the group! (Of people who are also confused!)

I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I'll try to answer several different interpretations of your question.

There is no up-to-date listing of scientific names as of bedtime yesterday (for instance). The closest that we can come is Dr. Norman Platnick's World Spider Catalog at http://research.amnh.org/iz/spiders/...APHOSIDAE.html. Dr. Platnick updates it approximately every six months. The major problem is that it may take you some time to figure out how the list is set up and what the more important parts mean.

If you mean common names, this will almost surely open a can of worms and produce a flame war that could rival the brawl after your last UK/German soccer game!

No one keeps track of them very well because they are unofficial and only partly useful, because a lot of people are convinced that scientific names are perfect and refuse to admit any utility to common names, because common names are so disorganized, because they are applied according to no rules whatsoever, and because they may be applied whenever anyone thinks they can make another dollar/shilling/clam/ducat/etc. from doing so.

I have tried such a project, but have found it almost impossible to keep up with it and still find time to eat, sleep, and maintain other biological functions. I'm sorely tempted to delete the webpages and forget the whole project! See http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/cn-master.html.

Someone else has also posted such a listing on one of the other forums, but I couldn't locate it in a 30 second search. If common names are what you're really after you might search the ATS message boards as well as Arachnoboards (as a starter). (Sorry for plugging other forums, Moderators, but I couldn't think of a more tactful way.)

This may not have answered your question, but at least you have other places to look now.

Best of luck. Enjoy your little 8-legged buddies!
    The Tarantula Whisperer!
    Stan Schultz
    Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
    Private messaging is turned OFF!
    Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Ah it's good to hear Im not alone so.

Im looking for scientific names and the link you sent is realy interesting (and as long as my life).I have seen one name on the up to date list (May 2010) so it has a use for me so many thanks there and as for common name's I cant be bothered.

I have now bookmarked both links for further reading and understanding thank you for your time and help with this matter Stanley and hopfully one day this will become a thing of the past because it has caused many debate's and confusion.
      Luke Anthony

Comment

Working...
      X