Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistaken identity ?

I was wondering if anyone can clarify what psecies my latest T is

it was labelled as an E.vulpinus but I'm reckoning that it is in fact a P.scrofa.....

also if that is the case then can anybody shed some light on this species please, I have had a few nuggets of info, but would be interested in a bit more

Click image for larger version

Name:	poppy resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	96015

it has been sexed as a female, and because i bought her on remembrance sunday I have called her "Poppy"

Thanks in advance to all !
    My Collection:

Loads of people have looked at the post, but no one has answered, any ideas please ?
    My Collection:

Comment

It is hard to do from pictures as it is, but the picture you have, although looking good, isn't really the best to id from.. especially with this genus (imo)

Comment

I'm pretty certain that you're right. But whatever it is, it's not E. vulpinus.

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for both your answers Michael and Neil, unfortunately its the best picture i can get a present.
          My Collection:

Comment

Sorry Im probably one of the people that has visited this post more than once

I have E.vulpinus but she is much smaller than the spider you want ID'd and I also have a Paraphysa but mine is P.parvula

So Im not going to be much use to you that and my strike rate at ID's from pix is very poor.

Hope someone comes up with a answer for you

Chris.

Comment

Thanks for having another look Chris, the picture is a bit misleading as she is only around 2 and a half to 3 inches legspan, a lovely looking little T, which I would love to know more about. Cheers to you all so far !
              My Collection:

Comment

There are some pix of E.vulpinus on this site

But no pix of P.scrofa

Chris.

Comment

For a minute i thought it looked like a Grammostola Rosea RCF or i am in no way an expert and most likely waaay off the mark. I

[ignore this post, just seen you have a Rosea RCf, and would be able to make a ID from your own spider]
                  Last edited by Mark Harrison; 25-11-10, 02:02 PM.
                  Tarantulas kept:
                  0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

To all,
                    many thanks for the advice and tips, (sorry it took a while to answer) still not 100% sure what she is but hey ho never mind...
                    My Collection:

Comment

Hi Dave, going by the carapace I'd say Grammostola, either sp. conception (sorry about the spelling) or possibly rosea RCF. The only other option is mollicoma, but either wayu its a lovely spider!
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Hi Nicola, thanks for your input
                        I have a G.rosea RCF in my collection, and I'm sad to say they look nothing like each other (shame as it would have been easier to ID her).

Here are a few more pictures, which someone might be able to see if there are any resemblances to the sp you have mentioned

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB281786.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	94029 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB281787.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	94030
                        My Collection:

Comment

Body proportions (carapace dimension, fovea appearance) and the shape and size of the mirror patch point more to Euathlus sp. to me the more i look at the pictures, although i did think P parvula initially and this is still hanging around in the grey matter as a "could be".
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi Colin thanks for having yet another look

It seems as though she is going to be an enigma!! I looked at the breeds you mentioned, and in some certain lights she looks like both

Ah well never mind she looks healthy, but she still hasn't eaten since Nov 14th.......

Thanks again.
                            My Collection:

Comment

You could have a go at keying her out from the next moult (or send it to someone who could have a bash, there's a few members on here that could get it to genus, possibly species if we're lucky)
                              Pictures very rarely have the spider in such perfect positions so you can get a accurate measurment on body parts and with a moult you can pull it to bits and get a look at the areas the actual spider would be a little miffed at you gawping at
                              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                              X