Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Journal discussion, Recent article - Andrew M Smith re North American Aphonopelma etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James Box View Post
    Good sir, dost thou refer to the infamous Avicularia avicularia holotype, evidently from Togo? One can only laugh!
    Sir James, tis one of the animals i refer'est to, amongst others to come to light no doubt.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Well having just bought what are labelled Aphonopelma stoicum to go with my A. chalcodes and A. bicoloratum in my collection, I find all these discussions highly informative.
      There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

So.. what would really need to happen is a complete gathering of all known 'tubs' with correct or not labels, as well as freshly collected area specimens? And then, of course, some brains to co ordinate and differentiate. At the same time, getting all the other, older, species as well, in order to.. well it really is a lifetimes work, isn't it? Or a proper multi university funded project.
        This would make for a great 'chat night with ...' on the chat section.

Comment

Originally posted by R Thomas View Post
          Well having just bought what are labelled Aphonopelma stoicum to go with my A. chalcodes and A. bicoloratum in my collection, I find all these discussions highly informative.
          where did you get that from? tbh i'd take many Aphonopelma ID's with a bucket of salt...
          i bought some hentzi from a dealer that is ...shall we say more knowledgeable about insects than spiders. i questioned it, but after speaking to some experts (and having a chance to show them the spiders in person), i had it confirmed they were most likely sp "carlsbad green". just as an example of VERY bad misidentification lol
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

So, glad you are all interested by some major changes on the horizon.

And not to worry about A.seemanni, the type is safe and matches to the original description, and these undoubtably come from north west costa rica, in the area around Liberia, matching with the type site of puerto culebra... It's fine.

So, if A.seemanni and close allies are 'very very different' from the north American taxa, then would you guys favour a replacement name (or names) for the USA species or favour proposing to retain Aphonopelma? I would say that Aphonopelma has only been widely used for USA species for the last twenty years, so really I don't think there is much need to preserve it for stability...., I favour replacement name or names..

Ps James, It looks like you shouldn't worry to much about stoicum, unless you plan to build a collection of Crassicrus or Citharacanthus... Hint hint... Glad you had the bucket of salt on standby. Now who was selling something as A.stoicum
            ??!?? Pps james, it's rather ironic that you 'like the sound' of Aphonopelma as the name translates as 'without sound' A-Phonos (a=without, phonos=sound)

Regards to all, from Mexico..
            S
            Last edited by stuart longhorn; 30-12-10, 04:46 AM. Reason: I wanted to add more!
            British Tarantula Society
            My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Originally posted by stuart longhorn View Post
              So, glad you are all interested by some major changes on the horizon.

And not to worry about A.seemanni, the type is safe and matches to the original description, and these undoubtably come from north west costa rica, in the area around Liberia, matching with the type site of puerto culebra... It's fine.

So, if A.seemanni and close allies are 'very very different' from the north American taxa, then would you guys favour a replacement name (or names) for the USA species or favour proposing to retain Aphonopelma? I would say that Aphonopelma has only been widely used for USA species for the last twenty years, so really I don't think there is much need to preserve it for stability...., I favour replacement name or names..

Ps James, It looks like you shouldn't worry to much about stoicum, unless you plan to build a collection of Crassicrus or Citharacanthus... Hint hint... Glad you had the bucket of salt on standby. Now who was selling something as A.stoicum
              ??!?? Pps james, it's rather ironic that you 'like the sound' of Aphonopelma as the name translates as 'without sound' A-Phonos (a=without, phonos=sound)

Regards to all, from Mexico..
              S
              ooh Crassicus, such as lamanai? i saw one once...had everything i like about a spider...ie it was a lovely shade of beige LOL
              but i think i'll stick with what i got...which as of today includes A behlei
              i have two ideas of who may've labelled their spiders A stoicum! but it may be naughty to say lol...and Colin's rather eager with that riding crop!

yes...i spotted the irony haha!
              enjoy Mexico! and enjoy the Tequila, but not too quickly!
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Ps James, It looks like you shouldn't worry to much about stoicum, unless you plan to build a collection of Crassicrus or Citharacanthus... Hint hint...
                Hints eh Stuart??
                So then A stoicum
                Possible move from being a "no foot sounds" to being possibly "thick shinned" ??????

Hmmmm I'll have £1 on Citharacanthus if you're running a bookies on it.

Comment

and Colin's rather eager with that riding crop!
                  Do What????

Go for it mate heh heh heh

*waits with finger on the edit button*

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                    Hints eh Stuart??
                    So then A stoicum
                    Possible move from being a "no foot sounds" to being possibly "thick shinned" ??????

Hmmmm I'll have £1 on Citharacanthus if you're running a bookies on it.
                    interesting! what's Crassicus mean then? they have, if i remember correctly, a rather large "shin" too, on leg IV i think it was? or was it the patella?
                    perhaps the purchaser will enlighten us with pictures!
                    Do What????

Go for it mate heh heh heh

*waits with finger on the edit button*
                    lol...i best not, but there are two i'm aware of that sell quite good animals, in great condition, but you may want to be open minded about the ID. one of them, in particular, has rather humourous spellings of some. i believe Pterinochilus lugardi was spelled lagarde on the site, and at a show...but still, cracking specimens.

i think both dealers, in their defense, are more into insects than spiders...and as i say, they do take care of their creatures even if they don't know the correct names.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

interesting! what's Crassicus mean then?
                      "Thick shin", you remember correctly James
                      I meant I'm betting on t'other 'un ( Citharacanthus ) as stoicum, as far as i'm aware, have an "even look" to the legs

lol...i best not,

Comment

So where are we with the "Brown types" and the "Blue types"? is this 100% sorted out?? (or have i missed a paper?)

Comment

"Thick shin", you remember correctly James
                          I meant I'm betting on t'other 'un ( Citharacanthus ) as stoicum, as far as i'm aware, have an "even look" to the legs

ahhh i got that backwards then, thought it was Citharacanthus that meant thick shin, nevermind!
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Citharacanthus seems to be of Greek origin ........ "lute" (musical instrument) and "thorn" translate from the name apparently.

Comment

well i got the journal at the lectures!!! very interesting.
                              if i understood correctly, the dominant genus may be Delopelma?
                              or Dugesiella? i was a little confused.
                              but it seems Aphonopelma and Rhecostica aren't in North America?
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X