Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobbyists attending Kettering fair! Your help is needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbyists attending Kettering fair! Your help is needed!

Hi guys,

My name's Stewart MacGregor and I'm a 17-year-old currently studying for a BTEC National Diploma in Media (Moving Image) at Stratford-Upon-Avon College. As part of my course I am required to produce a short programme to be aired on the college’s Broadcast Day, in which programmes made by the college’s Media students are broadcast across the college campus for viewing by the other students.

The programme that I am making, called “Eight”, is a documentary about arachnophobia. As someone who has been fascinated with these animals since I was little, I have the aim of debunking some of the myths and bad press that spiders have received over the years. The idea of the programme is to inform the viewers as to what the true facts are concerning spiders, particularly the large Theraphosids.

I need to conduct several interviews with spider enthusiasts which will be edited down into snippets to appear in the finished programme. I have already arranged interviews with the arachnid keeper at Stratford-Upon-Avon Butterfly Farm, and I am very keen to obtain filmed interviews with hobbyists. Many people see tarantulas in zoos, but most are largely unaware that keeping them is a very popular hobby. They would be pretty straightforward questions, along the lines of something like:

- How long have you been involved in this hobby?
    - How did you get into it?
    - What do you enjoy most about the hobby?
    - What is your favourite species of tarantula?
    - What positive experiences have you had with the hobby?
    - What negative experiences have you had with the hobby?
    - How many spiders do you own at present?
    - Why do you suppose that spiders have received such bad press over the years?
    - What are your thoughts on arachnophobia?
    - This programme will be seen by hundreds of arachnophobes. What is your message to them? Any tips on how they can conquer their fear?

If anyone attending the Entomological Fair would like to take part in this documentary I would be very grateful! It will be seen by the entire student population and faculty of Stratford College and is going to be a great way of raising awareness for both the BTS and the hobby itself. I am also looking to get shots of people's livestock, so any T's that you're particularly fond of can get the chance to be seen by thousands!

Anyone interested in taking part? Please email me at twobigbagsofdeadmansbones@hotmail.com or alternatively just reply on this thread, or PM me on this site. I will be at the fair from around 11.30 until I have all the footage I need for my programme. Anyone who hasnt emailed me who wants to take part on the day can just approach me and we'll set up something there and then. I will be the kid with the big camcorder and the sound guy!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Best wishes,

Stewart

THANKS EVERYONE!

Thankyou very much all the hobbyists at Kettering Fair who helped with interviews for our college documentary programme. The answers we got were great! As a bonus from that visit I've got into the hobby myself now with my first purchase: a huge Emperor Scorpion. He's settling in nicely and gobbling down a locust as I write this Can't wait till the BTS show now!

Stewart

Comment

Working...
    X