posting a tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posting a tarantula

hi guys, just wanted some advice on posting a t, not done it before and dont want owt to go wrong. i got loads of little tubs from tss that will fit a tarantula in, its the same they use when posting. i also bought a heat pack, seen as were not havin the best weather, ill copy what tss do when i get t's of them. tissue in the tub, and pollystirine or summet in the box. any tips would be good also, i dont soppose anyone knows how much postage i can expect to pay, not sent a parcel before my Euathalus sp "Montane" moulted and im pretty sure its MM... i dont need a male, so was thinkin of selling him, it would be a shame to let him go to waste
    thanx
    mark

Hi Mark,

Most tarantulas are shipped by Royal Mail Special Delivery which will cost probably around 5.40 and weather depending it normally guarantees delivery before 12 pm next working day. As heat mats require oxygen to work it is usual to put a couple of small holes in the package side nearest the heatpack. Remember that the spider should be really snug in the container surrounded by layers of kitchen roll or tissue that is ever so very slightly damped.

Hope this helps

Richard
    There are 3 kinds of Tarantula keeper. Those that can count and those that can't.

My Collection as of the 30.10.10

Comment

Yes Royal Mail Special Delivery is the way to go. I think they guarantee next day delivery before 1.00pm or something like that.

I have only ever packaged and sent 1 spider, but I left it as late in the day as possible before packaging it and taking it to the Post Office to limit the transit timescale as much as possible.

One other thing that I think might be a good idea is to avoid sending anything late in the week. For example if you sent it Friday to arrive Saturday and there was a problem with delivery, it may be sitting in the sorting office all weekend.

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

Only posted 2 spids so far to either end of the UK with no problems.

The thing I find difficult is the last bit when you have them in their cosy little den and have to pack tissue on top of them worry have I put to much and squashed them or to little and they can be tossed around. Your aim is to restrict movement as much as possible and prevent the spider coming into contact with any solid surfaces. That last bit I get a large ammount of toillet tissue and and place it over the spider and gently press down with cupped hands.

Not used a heat pad as mine were posted in warmer weather but have been told not to place the pad in direct contact with the spiders container as they do run very warm and could dry out the spider. Make sure there is a couple of layers of bubble wrap or some crumpled up balls of newspaper between it and the container and you should be fine.

Just a weather warning from Thursday on we are going to be hit by more snow and freezing Artic winds. Oh for global warming

Chris.
        Last edited by Christopher Smallman; 14-12-10, 08:48 AM.

Comment

thanx for the replys guys.... some good advice i was worried about squashing the spider too. the reson i not put an add in the classifieds yet is cuz the weather im gunna get him out tonight and just check he is a male ( ive checked loads of times i just get paranoid... no'in my luck ill sell as MM and it'll turn out to be female )
          thanx

Comment

Hi
            Personally feel that posting this time of the year is dodgy at best, really should be avoided at all costs.

Go to the download section of this site and download - how to pack and send a tarantula.

This basic document explians the best way (in my considered opinion that is) on how to pack and send them safely in obviously better weather.

If posible arrange collection or pass on at a local T meeting. Like Invicta and the Manchester groups, these great groups like these are springing up everwhere now...

Hope this helps

Mark

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I wouldn't advise anyone to ship tarantulas in this weather. The forecast isn't promising either so if you're going to send a spider out, best leave it until the new year!
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

yeah, i was thinking of waiting, just seen the weather forecast... just been to the download section and cant download owt
                thanx

Comment

Way too risky posting, it's not so much the packing and the heat pack, you can't guarantee next day delivery, they can suspend it at any time, this time of the year, and with current weather conditions, that usually means a d.o.a. for the T if it's held up in the postal system even a short length of time with low temps.

Comment

There's still plenty of parcels going out at the moment and the last day for RMSD is 23rd December, however the PO has said it will not guarantee delivery with the weather threats and the increased volume.
                    Your male will be fine to send out early next year, that should give him time to harden up and hopefully create a sperm web. Of course, first of all you need to find a partner for him so I'd get advertising in the various forums.
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

i totally agree don`t send i bought a peru pinktoe from the spidershop on tuesday the t was ment to arrive by 1pm yesterday she finally arrived at 5.39pm the heat pack was cold but thank god because the spidershop are so good at packing the t was still in good health

Comment

ill get an add up shortly.... thanx guys

Comment

Working...
                        X