X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats next ?

hi all hope you all had a good xmas..
    just want to bend some ears if thats ok
    i have a chille rose and a fire leg spider but am looking for somthing else to add to my collection.
    i was thinking of a costa rican zebra as i want to move up the ladder from owning beginner spiders to somthing a bit more challenging is this a good choice ?
    or can you recomend something ?
    sorry im not good with the latin names so forgive me.
    i look forward to hearing your input on this
    yours
    bill bennett

hi bill
    i think probably over half my collection are docile enough to be classed as beginner, the first i got that i think was slightly more challanging was Acanthoscurria geniculata ( giant white knee ). they are beautiful tarantulas of an impressive size, spend most of their time in the open, so make good display spiders and are good eaters. they dont always feel the need to run from a disturbance and will hapily kick hairs or evan face the threat head on. but i have never had any trouble with mine, she kicked hair once when i got her ( trying to get her out of the packaging she came in ) but other then that has been fine.
    i dont own a costa rican zebra so cant comment on that, sorry. but i would recomend an a geniculata to anyone, shes one of my fav's from my collection
    mark

Comment

thanks mark yer was looking at one of them to i prefer the more colourful speices but yer i think i will defo concider one thanks again

Comment

hi again
        just realized i do have a costa rican zebra after all... i did not know the common name, ( Aphonopelma seemanni ) but ive only had her about a week, shes a juvie, about 1 inch leg span. she seems fine, paniked abit when i was transfering her from the delivary tub to her new house and tried macking a break for it... other then that shes fine. ate 2 mealworms so far. just been perfecting her burrow. i cant say much from personal expieriance but from what i read up they are deep burrowers, a little skittish and pefer slightly higher humidity ( 70%... i think, ill have to double check that for you ). but another nice looking t... cant wait for mine to grow i think their a good choice.
        mark
        Last edited by Mark Shingleton; 27-12-10, 08:48 PM.

Comment

lol kk well havent decided yet need to get to my local shop and see what they have to offer. but thatnks again m8

Comment

ok after a long think and many pictures and research ive decided to go for a star burst babboon(Pterinochilus murinus) as i like the idea of a challenge plus i will have somthing to feed the kids to when they annoy me lol (last bit was a joke......honest)
            have spoken to a few members now and they all told me that they are a great t but not to expect it to like me as they are a tad agresive but i think it will look nice on my spider rack next to my other 2 babys

Comment

If you look and don't touch, and be careful when doing any cage maintenance then i can't see a problem in having one Bill.

p.s. Kids are too fatty for spiders, you need to buy a large python or boa
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

ill keep that in mind colin
                and dont worry i wont be touching read up on it and dont fancy getting bit lol

Comment

P. murinus, love em, was rather intimidated by them at first but now Ive bred 100s and love the little orange meanies.
                  I have several communities going at mo, at sling stage.
                  If you're interested Im selling them for £2 each, they're as big as your fingernail.

My favourite set-up for these is a couple of inches of coir and some branches in an arboreal set-up. I see more of them this way, keeping them fairly dry with very occassional misting.
                  My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

yes please peter very intrested
                    also hope you dont mind if i bend your ear from time to time for info

Comment

Its the speed of the little so and so's thats all I would warn you about.

Went to replace the lid on my small Pterinochilus chordatus snapped it shut only to find the blighter legging it across the carpet lol.

They will web everything including the lid to the substrate so the twig/branch thing is a super idea that way you dont destroy everything when you lift the lid

Chris.

Comment

lol yer noel showed me his vid when he moved one to another tank lol.
                        it did put me off a bit when i saw the speed of it.
                        but im after a challenge so i have my welders gloves ready lol (joke)

Comment

Originally posted by bill bennett View Post
                          so i have my welders gloves ready lol (joke)
                          plus.... kevlar vest, thick leather trousers, helmet, riot shield, baton.........

seriously though you'll be ok, care and attention is all thats needed ... and throw complacency out of the window

Comment

thanks colin i think ill get a gold fish now...
                            is there a bgs (british goldfish society) ?
                            :P
                            no im really looking forward to it now
                            even fancy a p.metallica so i blame you guys for this :P
                            well just noel really his fault for showing me all the pictures and vids lol

Comment

P metallica are actually quite the docile Pokie in general, you won't go far wrong if you get one to be honest.
                              I actually quite like them, even with my general dislike towards overpriced "blue spiders"

Comment

Working...
                              X