Tank advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank advice

I am soon to be getting my first tarantula - pretty sure im settled on G.rosea red form from exotic-pets.co.uk. I have started setting up my tank in readyness of my new arrival but i am undecided on my layout.

I have got a nice piece of bark but not sure if its too big for the tank.

My other option is a plant pot for a hide

The g.rosea from exotic pets is listed as sub adult but im not sure how big that will be.

Substrate is eco earth mixed with vermi.

thanks in advance

danny

hi there daniel welcome to the forum. as a general rule the tarantula's tank should be 2 to 3 times the size of it's leg span ie if it had a 4 inch leg span it would be ok in anything up to 12 by 12 inch tank. i would say a sub adult would have a 3 inch plus leg span at a rough guess. i would also say the flower pot is the better option as the bark looks a bit on the large side also you want to watch anything with sharp edges or points. as for the substrate i use potting soil mixed with one 3rd vermisulite. some do use what you have there i suppose it's down to individual preference. rosa's do like it on the dry side so no need to mist the tank to often just make sure she / he has fresh clean water at all times and you cant go wrong hope this helps daniel.

Comment

The tank is 12x8 so that should ok to begin with then?

I was a bit disapointed the eco earth when i rehydrated it as it is quite chunky - i spent nearly an hour going through braking down the biggest chunks I will have to see how the T takes to it and change to a different substrate if it seems to not be taking a liking to it.

I guess i shall be saving the bark for when i get an aboreal (if i can sneak it past the other half )

Thanks for the advice

Comment

daniel if you do decide to change the substrate it might be a good idea to do it before you get your spider as changing the substrate to often stresses them to much and they have to start all over again to get it how they like it. if you decide to use soil you want the very basic one with no added chemicals just the very basic variety. also you should nuke it in the micro wave for 5 mins to kill any nasty's that might be in it.

Comment

Just to add a bit to Vincents "common sense advise" and to give my own preferences on Grammostola environment.

If the tanks 12x8 then this will be fine for the spider for it's whole life.
          I would add 4+ inches of substrate (whatever mix you choose - opinions vary on this) and bury the flowerpot hide in the substrate leaving the entrance slightly open. Thie then gives the spider a chance to dig naturally and rearrange the tank to it's own specifications.
          I prefer to soak one corner of the substrate occasionally, but you can leave the waterbowl in there and do the same by overflowing it weekly.
          You don't need any additional heat for these (so don't waste money on heat mats etc) they will be fine in room temp whatever time of year it is. If you can sit in a T shirt in the day then the temps fine for them, they like a drop at night (even if you turn off the heating they'll be fine, all this lot here are )
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
          X