Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chaco Golden Knee behaving very differently!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaco Golden Knee behaving very differently!?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain the sudden change of behaviour in our Chaco Golden Knee.

We haven't had her all that long, probably a few months. She is a juvenile and molted once since we have had her which was about a month and a half ago. Up until now she really hasn't done much at all, just sits in one place and rarely moves. However that has all changed! She has been really active for the past 3 or 4 days, moving all of the substrate around, digging out the corners, tipping out her water, turning her hide upside down and generally trashing the place!

Fascinating to watch but we have no idea why the sudden change...can anyone enlighten us please?

Thank you!

just to add she eats very well.

Comment

To me it just sound like the spiders feeling "good", Grammostola are not all the pet rocks people imagine and will actively rearrange their tanks at every opportunity if conditions are right for themselves.
      He/she's probably just getting the environment to how it likes it

Is there a fair amount of substrate in the tank (3-4 inches)?, if so, then you'll be seeing some of the spiders natural behaviour in setting up "home". Sometimes they will get things ready in the tank months before a moults due, probably to get that "lived in" feel
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi Colin, that is just what I wanted to hear, thank you! The change is amazing and its so lovely to watch her being busy. The only slight worry is that she tends to hang off the lid of her tank, I just hope she doesn't fall. Yes she has at least 3 inches of substrate if not more.
        Thank you once again.

Comment

To reduce the risk of injury to a fall, just increase the substrate height and stick more in if possible. You could add some soft plastic plants around the tank to cushion a fall and to give something to climb on if you wish.
          one reason for hanging off the lid is that the substrate could be too damp for it, if so just let it dry out fully and just soak a corner weekly, though saying this ...A lot of the Grammies here hang off the lids occasionally even when the tanks dry and just right ... maybe they just like a bit a a thrill sometimes
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Yes that is a good idea, I will do that. Well the substrate is really quite dry so I am pretty sure thats not the reason - she has always climbed the sides of the tank just not the lid, this is a new thing and only started when she became so much more active. Maybe she is a thrill seeker!

Comment

i would have thought the same... sounds like s/he was just checking out the environment making sure it was safe and now s/he is happy s/he'll be more active

Comment

Excellent - that makes me happy Thank you.

Comment

Sounds about right, sit around for a few months being fed, no danger, this is a safe place lets make it home

Some of my enlosures look like something from no mans land in the first world war

Chris.

Comment

Hi Chris, yep that is exactly what she did. Must say she isn't very house proud Every morning when I go and check her she has changed everything around! She doesn't seem very impressed with her hide, I have only seen her in it once. I wonder if its not heavy enough because when she is in it and digging away it tips over.

Comment

My male Chaco hid away when I first had him. Then as time passed he's settled in fantastic and is out on display so much and he's dug a lovely tunnel under his cave. My Chile Rose female has completely ripped her home up, traashed everything and it's brilliant - no sitting rock with her

Comment

Hi Paul
                        Yes that is just what she has done. She is just so active now its amazing, her home changes everyday! Yesterday she was gathering up the substrate, carrying it to her water bowl and patting it down!? They are fascinating to watch!

Comment

Working...
                        X