Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! Advice needed with trapdoor spiders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Advice needed with trapdoor spiders!

Hi guys (and girls), I have come across red trapdoor spiders available to buy on thespidershop site, listed as Gordyrella spp. I VERY much like the look of them and have managed to find (after much trawling) enough information about them to feel confident with their husbandry requirements and provide them with an environment which would be suitable. HOWEVER, they are wild caught and I personally do not agree with buying WC specimens but thought if I got a pair I could attempt to breed them, and thus my problems present themself...there is very little (or rather I have been able to find very little) information on the net with regards the breeding of trapdoor spiders in general, nevermind Gordyrella species (which may also be Gorgyrella?). If anyone has successfully bred this or similar species, or knows anyone who has, or indeed could point me in the direction of any information in the regard of breeding this species it would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Diolch pawb/thanks all,
    Dave
    “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Sorry I can´t help as much as I would like to. The principal trouble when breeding spiders of the infraorder Mygalomorphae, in my opinion, is the lack of knowledge about their reproductive biology. It is, in some cases, a trial and error issue (with, generally, little success). I really don't know if Gorgyrella spp. spiders have been captive bred enough times to know what conditions "work better" for them. And I have seen on sale (in México) misidentified mygalomorph spiders, so that should also be considered.

I wish you luck with your idea. I don't like at all the way that hundreds of wild caught spiders are sold over the world. I hope you can succesfully breed them, but you should think seriously that it can cost you a lot of time, money and various efforts (and, with just a pair of spiders, your chances of success are rather few).

Regards, Alonso.
    How much do we really know about tarantulas?
    P.S. Sorry for my deficient english...

Comment

Thanks Alonso, like I said, I've not really been able to find much myself but as you quite rightly say, with just a pair I have a limited chance of success, maybe if I had more money I would give it a go, but with a lack of finances to fund my efforts and the general lack of information on their breeding habits, conditions etc I think I'll leave it until I can dedicate more money to giving this a serious attempt rather than a well intentioned but ill prepared attempt. I guess it's just a shame that these kinds of spiders haven't been widely bred in captivity and that we have to rely on wild caught specimens to supply the pet trade and I really hope someone manages to successfully breed this (and other Mygalamorph species) in the near future and make their findings etc known so that more people within the hobby can begin to breed them and take the strain off wild populations.

Thanks again for your input Alonso, much appreciated,
      Dave
      “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Shinn View Post
        1.- (...) I think I'll leave it until I can dedicate more money to giving this a serious attempt rather than a well intentioned but ill prepared attempt.

2.- (...) I really hope someone manages to successfully breed this (and other Mygalamorph species) in the near future and make their findings etc known so that more people within the hobby can begin to breed them and take the strain off wild populations.

3.- Thanks again for your input Alonso, much appreciated,
        Dave
        1.- That would be the right thing, I think.

2.- I hope so. It would be great to have more CBB species available (both Mygalomorphs and Liphistiids).

3.- No problem, jeje, thank you for your comments. Maybe someday you will have the chance to breed some species. It depends on how much you want to get involved. Good luck, whatever you choose to do soon or later.

Regards, Alonso.
        How much do we really know about tarantulas?
        P.S. Sorry for my deficient english...

Comment

the pet trade in wild caught spiders is not the enemy. the enemy is the so-called dry trade and habitat destruction.
          yes we should cut down on wild catching, but it's necessary to a small degree and in that small degree harmless.
          nobody thinks you should go and catch thousands, which sadly may happen...but the stuff that ends up at the spidershop is a drop in the bucket compared to what are killed by loggers or dry collectors.
          good luck with the breeding, that can only be a good thing
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I agree James, whole heartedly i do concur

As for the trapdoor spiders, i have one here (the black Gordyrella sp bought from Messrs Goss years ago)... don't see it, have to clean the tub lid everytime i open it due to poo being squirted all over, it eats very little, never throws it's moults out so i cant sex it ..... at the end of the day....it must be content
            Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
              I agree James, whole heartedly i do concur

As for the trapdoor spiders, i have one here (the black Gordyrella sp bought from Messrs Goss years ago)... don't see it, have to clean the tub lid everytime i open it due to poo being squirted all over, it eats very little, never throws it's moults out so i cant sex it ..... at the end of the day....it must be content
              thanks mate!

they're great things, if you don't mind seeing just a blur, if you're lucky, when feeding!
              i used to have a silver legged jobby...think it was African. i forget the species. looked more like a Theraphosid than a trapdoor, though!
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                t
                i used to have a silver legged jobby...think it was African. i forget the species. looked more like a Theraphosid than a trapdoor, though!
                we have a horned baboon, my god she is rappid, it is really a case of blink and you'll miss it

Comment

Working...
                X