Sad news - spider loss :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news - spider loss :(

Not been on for a while, so thought I'd catch you up on our Ts.

First to convey some sad news of spider loss in our household.

I can't remember if I told you a few months back of the loss of one of out OBT slings in a moult. RIP Toby

Well to add to that now, the second of our three OBT slings also passed. I cannot work out why, I can only assume the cold weather had something to do with it. Kicking myself as I suspected the heat mat might not be good enough, but assumed as I keep my house pretty warm all the time, (as we didn't really go out anywhere in the snow, so were in all the time) that they would be ok. Now worried the drops in temp downstairs where the spiders are, of a night when we were in bed has affected them. Happy to report our third OBT sling, and out A. chalcodes, X. immanis and L.parahybana are all well though (eating as normal, moving or not moving around as normal depending on which one it is lol etc)

However our other loss is sadly my daughters first T (the first OBT we lost in a moult was hers also), GBB juvie kama. Kama stopped eating properly a while back, but never moulted as I was expecting. She used to sit out a lot and took to hiding and didn't move round as much. The day before we discovered our OBT had died, possibly to do with cold weather, we dicovered Kama.

wondering if anyone can shed any light on what may have happened. The whole time we had her, she never ate or grew at the rate I was expecting from other's reports on a GBB. and now this? I had her set up as advised by other GBB owners.

Also, I am now in the market for a GBB juvie. I told my daughter when her OBT died, but I can't bring myself to tell her kama is dead, so at the moment she believes kama is sick and at the vet's. hoping to replace her quickly. Irresponsible I know, I should get her used to the death of a spider. but she's only 4 and it would break her heart bless her.
    Also added another T to my wish list - after a T. pruriens. I have a basic care sheet, but if anyone has any extra info to add in terms of availability of these or extra care/temprement info that would be fab!

That is all our news up to date. enjoying looking after our remaining Ts still, looking forward to SEAS in a couple of weeks and jotting down the date for this years BTS show in the diary! Hope to see you all there!

Jo x
    Owner of:
    A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
    Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
    Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Hey Jo, sorry to hear about your T's. Did your GBB and OBT get stuck in their molt or just unexpectedly die? As i personally keep both my OBT's and GBB fairly dry with just a water dish/misting on web each week and they are thriving. I do have some OBT's for sale at the moment if you were interested, both slings and more grown on juveniles. Hope you can get another sling soon.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Working...
    X