Egg sac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg sac help

My b.Smithi has just wrapped her egg sac and ime sure she needs water as she has positioned herself by the water bowl. I dont realy want to disturb her. Any advice on how i can fill her bowl? Thanks, Rob.

well, no.1 congratulations on getting a sac from these. Not the easiest or the hardest but definitely a worthy and in demand species.

the liklihood is she's laid the sac there for good reason, its a little bit more humid than the rest of the enclosure. I very much doubt its because she's thirsty.

Once she's settled and the sac is wrapped in silk resembling a mishaped ball its time to add some water, but not in the bowl! Personally I'd cover the enclosure in a towel to keep light off, water one end so its quite off dry but definitely not swampy, and keep disturbance down to a minimum. I don't tend to feed my females once they've laid a sac unless they leave the sac, but I find it they leave it for long periods its a suggestion something is wrong.

You've got plenty of time to get film pots and your incubator sorted. Good luck and have fun.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

I personally wouldn't add any water at all, there's a chance the spider could rest the egg sac on a damp patch and it'll lead to sticking eggs within the sac. She's prepared the sac in the environment she's in now so thats perfect for her or she would have held off.

Also covering tanks with cloth (and moving them around) isn't really the better option from my experience. if the spider feels the need to be a little more secure then she will instinctively head for her hide or burrow (or create one). Covering the whole tank will make her feel secure but whenever you lift it to look she could be disturbed and possibly discard or eat the sac, you won't know till the next time you disturb her and look. if you let her find her own hide" then you'll still be able to peek in and check the sac without disturbance.

Not disagreeing with Pete's technique at all, just putting alternative experience forward for you to peruse.

we all have our own different ways which work
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

well dun.. hope all gos well. my g rosea laid eggs before xmas and she recked hers..

Comment

Thanks for interesting advice, Have managed to get water into the bowl with very little disturbance. Didnt overflow, not gonna feed her for the moment.Two sides of container are against the wall and her hide is at the heated end oposite to where she and the sac lay. Cheers guys. Rob.

Comment

Well done with the sac. Interestingly, I've had a second T. Blondi, move the sac to about 1" away from the water bowl, and seemed settled with it for a week or so, but overnight, dumped it in her waterbowl, so hopefully yours won't do the same.

Comment

Sorry to hear that linda.... She has now moved to the middle of tank between moist area and heat. Egg sac looked a bit scruffy and was concerned for a while but everything seems ok at the moment as she is still clutching it. This is my first experience of egg sac so all advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Rob.

Comment

Its been 20 days now and she is still careing for sack!! Need some advice on when to remove it ... Do i feed her or not? Incubater all ready. Cheers Guys, Robin..

Comment

try her some will feed with no probs my para did good luck

Comment

You "can" remove it when you want really, depends on what stage of development you want to start looking after.
                    I would pressume that the contents are still in egg form at the mo so you could tip out these eggs in the incubator if you wish.
                    If you wait another 4-6 weeks then they'll hopefully be just into nymph (depending on temps etc) so you could just seperate them into film tubs straight away.
                    Or you could leave it for the long run and chase little spiderlings around the tub .

feeding is a personal choice for you and the spider, some keepers will feed even when the spider has a sac, others don't (after all the spider is able to sustain itself for this short time with no problems). Some spiders will eat when they have a sac and others don't bother .. again a choice for you .... in a trial and error type of way.

Sorry i've just given options here but there's no definative way to play it.

Me personally, i'd wait another 6 weeks and hopefully find myself seperating nymphs, and not feed her at all untill the sacs gone.
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I remember somebody else speaking about how their female had also dumped her egg sac into the water bowl. Tricky situation to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                        Me personally, i'd wait another 6 weeks and hopefully find myself seperating nymphs, and not feed her at all untill the sacs gone.
                        Similar thoughts. Leave it with her, mum knows best

Comment

Thanks again for advice all greatly appreciated. Was planning to pull sac after 30 days but have decided to leave with her . (And take the chance) Cheers guys, Rob.

Comment

Ive never bred B. smithi before but I'd expect the development to be longer than Avics, so 30 days is too soon. For Pokies I'd pull around 6 weeks but I'd probably give Brachypelma another couple of weeks on top of that.
                            I find more success with raising ewls than eggs

Comment

Hi Guys. Fed up today.Pulled sac yesterday at 40 days prob 600 eggs with about 200 mouldy. The rest were dry. Tried to recover in Incubator but all went mouldy overnight. Going to pull sac a bit earlier next time as its difficult to keep enclosure in perfect conditions without disturbing T . Thanks to everyone for advice and help its been a learning curve for me as my first experince of breeding.
                              Cheers, Robin.

Comment

Working...
                              X