over feeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over feeding?

hi every one, we got some new babies just before xmas, and they are coming along quite nicely. got 3 juvies (about the size of a 50p coin) and they eat like monsters! we have a salmon pink (sam), curly hair (cadbury) and a giant black and white (brock). we are feeding them small/med crickets (mainly the bigger ones in the box lol). I put 6 in each tank on wednesday and all three caught and 'stored' all of them straight away, i looked last night and they had eaten all of them, so i gave them another 3 each and the same thing happened again. so my question is can you over feed them? or will they only eat if they are hungry?

Hi gareth,
    You can definatly over feed tarantulas! I wouldnt keep feeding them until they refuse food. The size of the abdomen is a good indicator when to feed.For the size you have mentioned i would say one prey item every two weeks is more then enough!
    Chris
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

The only spiders I have fed this month are my slings one prey item a week and those that have moulted within the last month.

You have to get away with the thought that tarantulas should be fed like a cat or dog.

Never on any forum have I seen a post of a spider passing away from hunger

Chris.

Comment

I generally feed my slings a prey item that is roughly half their size/twice a week. Not considered ridiculous "power feeding" but a good healthy sized diet none the less.

:¬D

Comment

I usually offer food once a week and then it's only an abdomen sized cricket. If they nail it instantly i might put another one in midweek but no more than 2 for sure. Occasionally my MF rosea will have 3 if they are on the small side, but that's rare for her.

Comment

Working...
          X