Pterinochilus colour variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pterinochilus colour variations

I was recently asked if some P.Murinus slings i had for sale were the RCF colour form. I said that as far as im aware the mother was of the UMV (Usambara Mountains Variant), yet did not know what colour/variation the male was. This was due to being already gravid (much to my suprise) when purchased from local exotics store.

I was only familiar with the pale golden variation (called the TCF?) and the aformentioned UMV, is there a discernible difference between the RCF and UMV colour forms? Is the RCF a regional variant or a totally different kettle of fish together
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

In the hobby, RCF refers to Red Colour Form which is the same as the UMV form.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Hi guy, so the two colour variations are one in the same? I only ask as after conducting some research i came across some information that i feel helps. It states that the RCF are often sold as Pterinochilus Mamillatus or P.spp."Usambara" and that they have red/orange long and short setae. Whereas the UMV variant are described as a possible natural intergrade between the TCF and RCF, where their colouration is said to be a more intense pale yellow/orange.

Tarantulas kept:
      0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Pterinochilus Mamillatus was found to be P. murinus RCF but with P. murinus being such a wide ranging species, there are many colour variants up to the point where P. murinus "intermediate" was being sold.
        Last edited by Guy Tansley; 27-01-11, 11:52 AM.
        Guy...
        www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies guy. Its a rather confusing genus, made all the more confusing when people refer to such wide ranging species such as P.murinus as one particular colour form.
          Tarantulas kept:

Comment

Working...
          X