Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour forms - for what??

Hi all.

As everyone knows, tarantulas have a lot of different colour forms. Could anybody tell me - for what do they need them?? Why can't they be f.e. just in normal colour form?

I've already asked a few guys and they do not know. Hope I will find it here.

All the best
    Tom
    LIBERATE MY MADNESS!!

I think it's just regional variation that could depend on habitat (relating to camoflage etc), it interested me a few years back when it was mentioned that Aphonopelma seemanni was found in differing conditions and had a light and dark coulor form, some speculated that the colour change could be due to humidity and it seemed fairly logical.

I messed around with a couple of Grammostola rosea (which we knew them as at the time) and placed a couple on dry light substrate (coir / vermiculite / peat) and a couple on darker substrate (compost / peat / soil) which held water more readily. at the end of this little experiment (well over a year) when they had grown to juvenile size there was a noticable difference to the overall colour and the couple kept on the darker substrate were more a "dirty brown" colour to the light tan colour of the second lot, the carapace was a deeper pink too.

I tried the same with Brachypelma vagans, some on just vermiculite, some on peat, others on light coir but they showed no colour change ... they did however show a remarkable difference in growth, one outcome which i did not expect was those kept on vermiculite (just regular food and no water) grew at a rate higher than those on peat that was moistened weekly when being fed at the same time.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
    X