Avicularia sp. - identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avicularia sp. - identification

Hello, I've found some offer with unknown Avicularia.
    Have you ever seen that Avicularia like in link below ?

I've only information that was captured in Brasil - S/E 100 km from Manaus

WWW.JAKUBFRACKOWIAK.COM

Way back when these were sold as Avicularia juruensis but unsure of their current name/description.

Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thats what i've seen coming in as A juruensis in the past, and a nice example of one too.
      As Guy says though, and although i've not heard of any name changes concerning this species recently, it's a possibilty they may have been relabeled ...
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Someone told me that they have been sold as A.juruensis "Blue".
        WWW.JAKUBFRACKOWIAK.COM

Comment

That is a beautiful spider! Avicularia juruensis/auarantiaca...colour morph of urticans

Comment

Originally posted by Becka Hardwick View Post
            That is a beautiful spider! Avicularia juruensis/auarantiaca...colour morph of urticans
            That post on Arachnoboards ... (aurantiaca was spelt incorrectly)... should really have said "possibly" as all avics of this "genre" look similar.
            Hence lots of cross breeding creating the hobby forms that then pop up here and there saying that they're colour forms of this and that.
            juruensis / aurantiaca/ urticans all looked very different (juvenile and adult colours) many years ago ... now everything apart from the 5 or 6 definitive species should be called Avicularia sp. "species"

Comment

Its off topic, but i think it needs mentioning that without license, brasil doesnt allow export under the environment crimes law.
              And i'm highly doubtful the dealer in the link got such a license for the two alleged WC specimens on offer.

The initial translation says
              "Buy 2 females are probably as yet undescribed species of the genus Avicularia. Price - 750zł/szt."

Thanks for the insights on the various Avics traded guys/gals.
              British Tarantula Society
              My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                That post on Arachnoboards ... (aurantiaca was spelt incorrectly)... should really have said "possibly" as all avics of this "genre" look similar.
                Hence lots of cross breeding creating the hobby forms that then pop up here and there saying that they're colour forms of this and that.
                juruensis / aurantiaca/ urticans all looked very different (juvenile and adult colours) many years ago ... now everything apart from the 5 or 6 definitive species should be called Avicularia sp. "species"
                Very nice point.

I think they weren't necessarily looking for a definitive spider species but a more defined clarification of colour in the species (to decide which spiders to use in creating the colours). Possibly, I misinterpreted the question?

Comment

to decide which spiders to use in creating the colours
                  The term "morph" is a term used by some hobbyists for the natural varients in colour for a said species of tarantula due to climatic and regional area differences, not as in reptiles etc where hobbyists breed to get different colour morphs through genetic cross-matching.
                  Tarantulas are bred species specific to sustain the species. You can't choose to breed two spiders with different colours and mix and match to get the latest designer look.

Comment

This is very interesting. Thanks for clarifying. These terms have me baffled. My friend (T hobbyist and breeder) told me a term and tried explaining but this makes much more sense.

Comment

Rather I misinterpreted the facts...thanks Mr. Wilson for the explanations.

Comment

These terms have me baffled.
                        Me too sometimes so i wouldn't worry too much!!! ... i often think i'm misreading stuff and have to read back to make sure I'm not going stupid
                        This is the problem we sometimes have, someone who knows a little bit about (for example) reptiles hears a few terms and then uses them to talk about tarantulas, people read this and, as it's written on a forum, take it as gospel .... thus unexplained phrases and terms start to appear in the hobby and become established.

Some terms and procedures don't migrate from hobby to hobby, though some terms are just dialect or worded differently in different countries (for example .. car hood/car bonnet .... moult/slough/shed ..... spider common names (very confusing and should be banned etc)

A lot of the time things are not written as to explain fully, or only a part of a discussion is available (or read) so people read and understand only half of whats really happening, it all somehow still makes sense even with the missing (or misleading) info.... i.e. this particular topic where the term "colour form" (a natural colour varient in certain tarantula species) could be mistaken for the reptile equivalent term meaning a colour specifically bred for by pairing certain colour morph parents, something we don't (or shouldn't) aim for in tarantula breeding.

You have to trudge through a lot of misinformation and hype to find the info you want sometimes, my suggestion to everyone is to read everything you can on a subject and then take all the common factors to form your own theory.
                        a good example is ......... dont read one care sheet for a spider and follow it, this could be written by an individual who only has the one spider, keeps it completely wrong but as the spiders surviving they pop a care sheet up on either an obscure website or my-face / space book (or any of the other social networking tosh), people read this care sheet and then wonder why their spider doesn't do well. tis best to join an established tarantula forum and ask questions. (the plonker that wrote the dodgy care sheet may be a member but there'll be others to voice their concerns and put him right)

Seems i went off on a little rant there ..... only meant to agree with your comment

Comment

an excellent rant, sir!

Me too sometimes so i wouldn't worry too much!!! ... i often think i'm misreading stuff and have to read back to make sure I'm not going stupid
                          This is the problem we sometimes have, someone who knows a little bit about (for example) reptiles hears a few terms and then uses them to talk about tarantulas, people read this and, as it's written on a forum, take it as gospel .... thus unexplained phrases and terms start to appear in the hobby and become established.

Some terms and procedures don't migrate from hobby to hobby, though some terms are just dialect or worded differently in different countries (for example .. car hood/car bonnet .... moult/slough/shed ..... spider common names (very confusing and should be banned etc)

A lot of the time things are not written as to explain fully, or only a part of a discussion is available (or read) so people read and understand only half of whats really happening, it all somehow still makes sense even with the missing (or misleading) info.... i.e. this particular topic where the term "colour form" (a natural colour varient in certain tarantula species) could be mistaken for the reptile equivalent term meaning a colour specifically bred for by pairing certain colour morph parents, something we don't (or shouldn't) aim for in tarantula breeding.

You have to trudge through a lot of misinformation and hype to find the info you want sometimes, my suggestion to everyone is to read everything you can on a subject and then take all the common factors to form your own theory.
                          a good example is ......... dont read one care sheet for a spider and follow it, this could be written by an individual who only has the one spider, keeps it completely wrong but as the spiders surviving they pop a care sheet up on either an obscure website or my-face / space book (or any of the other social networking tosh), people read this care sheet and then wonder why their spider doesn't do well. tis best to join an established tarantula forum and ask questions. (the plonker that wrote the dodgy care sheet may be a member but there'll be others to voice their concerns and put him right)

Seems i went off on a little rant there ..... only meant to agree with your comment
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks James .. it was almost a waffle though

Comment

Thanks James .. it was almost a waffle though
                              well...it IS pancake Tuesday now

*ba-dum CHING*
                              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                              X