No announcement yet.

Egg sac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: Day 25, just checked on my female and she has discarded the sac! It was outside her burrow. Fearing the worst I pulled it out, opened it to find a gooey mess inside. The awful smell that came out when I opened it confirmed it was bad

Damn! I'm really bummed out by this. I must admit I had my doubts about a week ago but my confidence grew every day she still had the sac. What a terrible start to the week!

Anyway, if I can get to the bottom of why this happened, at least that will be something positive to take away for next time. The sac itself was quite wet/damp. Could this be why? Perhaps I had her substrate too wet? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie
    My Collection:

Comment

Jamie I'm so gutted for you, It was looking good too. Still my girl to go then. I'm drying mine out a bit anyway so I will be cautious with the water if she drops. Always next year, plus I'll have a male to send to you too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen jordan View Post
        Jamie I'm so gutted for you, It was looking good too. Still my girl to go then. I'm drying mine out a bit anyway so I will be cautious with the water if she drops. Always next year, plus I'll have a male to send to you too
        hi mate, i've had the same happen...it's very frustrating, so i sympathise!
        the important thing is not to beat yourself up...if you can learn from it, great, but you can't always prevent this kind of thing!!!
        just keep trying.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks Steve, never mind. Like you said there's always next year. Plus I still have my other female, so I'm hopeful she might drop a sac too.

Originally posted by James Box View Post
          the important thing is not to beat yourself up...if you can learn from it, great, but you can't always prevent this kind of thing!!!
          just keep trying.
          Thanks James, so do you think it was the damp substrate that made it go bad?

Jamie.
          My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
            just keep trying.
            All of this is a learning experience, If only spiders were like fish (I have the knack with fish for some reason) My girl has yet if at all to drop, plus I have a few pairs here already waiting to go. In the 90's I used to watch my pair of blue cobalt discus eat hundreds of pounds worth of eggs and babies, just never had the patience back then...I have now. I still cant believe how addictive this hobby is

Comment

Sorry to hear about your sac... I just pulled mine after 25 days ( after rob c and jon2800 advice). it is a very small sac and it was not too hard to pull. her burrow collapsed and she emerged from the dirt fighting but i just put a tub over her slid the lid underneath and that was mother taken care of. Then came the delicate matter of finding the sac. Luckily she tried to take it to the mouth of her burrow. Any ways the sac is good.... 91 eggs 5 were black and unfortunately I squashed one and there is one that is a little darker than the rest.... So hopfully I should have 84 little Livs in a month time. Incubater is at 23 degrees with 70% humidity I will keep you all posted on how things go... The eggs are not quite EWL but you can see on them white marks that looks baby Ts In hindsight I pulled it too early. But lets hope...
              “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Corless View Post
                Sorry to hear about your sac... I just pulled mine after 25 days ( after rob c and jon2800 advice). it is a very small sac and it was not too hard to pull. her burrow collapsed and she emerged from the dirt fighting but i just put a tub over her slid the lid underneath and that was mother taken care of. Then came the delicate matter of finding the sac. Luckily she tried to take it to the mouth of her burrow. Any ways the sac is good.... 91 eggs 5 were black and unfortunately I squashed one and there is one that is a little darker than the rest.... So hopfully I should have 84 little Livs in a month time. Incubater is at 23 degrees with 70% humidity I will keep you all posted on how things go... The eggs are not quite EWL but you can see on them white marks that looks baby Ts In hindsight I pulled it too early. But lets hope...
                Congrats Lee!

Fortunately I have another smaller female who I'm hoping will drop soon too. I paired her about 6 weeks after pairing the first female.

Well done mate, and keep us posted!

Jamie
                My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                X